*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DC battery - battery charger

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

DC battery - battery charger

Postby golfchick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:40 pm

So we're converting our transit into a camper and we're at the leisure battery and charger stage. We've picked up a battery to battery charger which asks for a D+ connection from the alternator and I've read you can also access this behind the glovebox but rather than do either we're considering just using a manual flip switch to simulate engine on. Is there any reason not to do it this way? other than simply not being as slick? Not 100% convinced whether the wire from the alternator will fluctuate the voltage therefore it would be quite important to keep it that way.
golfchick

Re: DC battery - battery charger

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Strange the B2B wants an alternator connection. The whole idea of them is you should be able to connect it to the starter battery positive and forget about alternator output, as the B2B itself handles all that.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby golfchick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:18 pm

I'm fairly sure it just needs an engine on signal which doesn't exist in many places in a van so it just opted for alternator location. I figure it just needs to know when to run and when to work.
golfchick

Postby Got2golf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:17 am

Which B2B do you have. My Sterling works with or without the “running” ignition wire.
Got2golf

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 pm

Got2golf wrote:Which B2B do you have. My Sterling works with or without the “running” ignition wire.

Mine too
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bdastu » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Got2golf wrote:Which B2B do you have. My Sterling works with or without the “running” ignition wire.

That's good to know, I've got a Sterling B2B to fit to my van and have been looking for an ignition switched source to connect to. Might not bother now. :D
bdastu
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hectors-tranny » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:19 pm

golfchick wrote:I'm fairly sure it just needs an engine on signal which doesn't exist in many places in a van so it just opted for alternator location. I figure it just needs to know when to run and when to work.

Other others have said, a B2B shouldn't need an 'engine on' signal, as they work by sensing voltage across the starter battery (which itself depends on alternator output).
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby imageoven » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm

I have a Votronic VBCS battery to battery charger which does require a D+ signal . It is a combined unit incorporating a mains charger and MPPT solar controller.

In my Mk7, a cable with spade connector was in the left hand side of the loom behind the glove box. This is switched to earth on start up so needs a relay to give a +ive signal. It was fairly straight forward to run a cable to the passenger seat box through the trunking under the floor mat. Search for D+ in the BEMM document for your van as the location of the connector changed at some point in production of the Mk7.
imageoven
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions