*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Camper van complete wiring

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Camper van complete wiring

Postby John Porter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am

Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I have a Mk6 Transit 2006 reg LWB Hitop 2.4 TDCi van and I am trying to sort out a complete campervan wiring kit. I need 240V hookup, double socket with USB, single socket with USB, Split charge relay,1000W sine wave inverter, 10 way fuse box, two ceiling light circuits with total of eight LED downlighters, fridge supply, water pump supply, control panel??, six LED wall lights, two reading lamps, the option to add solar panel later, the option to add diesel heater later. I am planning to have all the lighting switches on a panel just inside the sliding door. I'm planning to get a pair of 110Ah leisure batteries separately.
I've had a quotation of around £587 including VAT for everything apart from the batteries for the campervan wiring kit and all the accessories including the lights. Who thinks I should go for a ready made kit such as through Rayne Automotive, and who thinks I should source all the items separately and wire them together myself? I've done 240V domestic wiring before but never 12V so it is all new to me. I'm fine with soldering which I guess could be useful. I come from a carpentry/building site/kitchen fitting background. I'm half way through the insulation stage at the moment.
Can someone please point me to an idiots guide to fitting campervan electrics, website or Youtube? I haven't found the right video yet to give me confidence to tackle the job myself. Thanks! John.
John Porter

Re: Camper van complete wiring

Postby dumper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:18 pm

I’ve built 7 camper vans for myself over the years and always used a simple system all you need is a split change relay to charge the batteries and then you need a fuse box with enough outlets for every thing plus a few spare for anything you may add later.
As for fuse box location my previous van I had 3 boxes around the van my current van I have just 1 located in with the batteries i also have a heavy duty master switch in the Earth side of the batteries so if I have a problem I can quickly isolate the power to everything.i have used two core wire for everything in the van and run everything back to a earth point if you can do 240 v wiring yourself 12 is going to be easier.the only 240 v I have is microwave witch is powered by a inverter as I don’t go on sites with power .
If you are not going to fit a night heater straight away I’d plan where are you going to fit it and run the wiring feed for it and anything else you may want to fit later I have run extra wiring in my van just in case I need to add something at a later date saves stripping out bits of the van when you need to fit something new .
As for adding solar power someone will come along and give you some advice on that if you have a search on here I think it has been covered
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby John Porter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi Dumper, Thanks for your reply, there's some useful stuff there. Do you know of a website for dummies) which will explain how a system goes together?
John Porter

Postby dumper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:52 pm

I think there is a self build camper forum when you do get to do the wiring yourself get a good terminal pliers and wire stripper like snap on/ Duralight for insulated terminals
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby John Porter » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 pm