*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New MK7 project

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: New MK7 project

Postby dumper » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 pm

I was worried about mine been cold with all the windows I have boarded over and insulated all bar the side door and the one opposite and have not noticed any difference in winter at night the back doors are no problem as I have a storage area between the back doors and the bedroom.
Forgot to mention I got some black waterproof fabric put on to the windows so you can’t see the insulation from the outside the windows now look jet black.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cheet22 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 pm

Thanks dumper.

I think that's likely my plan too more i think on it.

Did you just put the waterproof fabric on the glass then insulation right up to it? What is your finish in the walls, wood cladding? Fabric?
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:38 pm

Yes put the fabric onto the windows then the insolation then batons lengthways along the Windows’s then carpeted ply board to finish off .
Also I didn’t insulate the floor I boarded it out and carpet on top I use my van al year round and never needed it .
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Transitpete123 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:12 am

Useful to know dumper, I feel like I know what I should do but it's good to hear that someone else has had similar ideas. When you attach the battens over the insulation, how do you screw them down? Straight into the metal frame or do you use some kind of rivnut system?

Cheet, Im going to try and sell my seats but I honestly don't know whether there is a market for them or what price I should be aiming for. They are in pretty good condition but guessing I may have to scrap the single ones as I can't see them being very useful to anyone not wanting to fit out an identical van due to the fittings.
Transitpete123
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:35 am

Hi I screwed them straight to the steelworks as for selling the seats I put them on eBay as a job lot like you I didn’t want to mess about selling them as singles i didn’t want to cut up the rails I had interest in selling one at a time so if you do the double ones will sell .
You should get £200 each for the twin seats and may end up not selling all the single ones for the job lot I got a lot of chances offering silly money I ended up telling them before I’d sell for that price I’d set fire to them in the end I got £1000 from a dealer but had to deliver them .
If you haven’t put them in the parts for sale section.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cheet22 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Cool - I was thinking I'd need to pay to get rid of them!

Mine are ok, need a decent clean but certainly no rips etc. They just taking up a pile of space in garage (or will when I get the last 3 buggers out!)

I was wondering if I refit a twin for the kids where the front row 3 seats are, but I dont like them. So i'm spending all night googling for some comfy, but not too big, possibly folding seats for kids when moving. Seen a good few taxi foldaway seats that have seat belts, might not be the comfiest but kids are small. I also found some cool bench folders on various websites but they are damn expensive!

still all comes down to what I decide on beds too for kids and whether one or both has to go over those seats somehow. Im currently drawing up a million different ideas, so hopefully this weekend when I get last seats out and really see where fitting points are good etc, so I can make some decisions one way or another.
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:10 pm

I’ve been lucky with my planing it’s just been a evolution of my first van just a matter of refinement.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cheet22 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Transitepete - what are you planning for the rear travel seats with seatbelts?
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transitpete123 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:40 am

My plan was simply to leave the existing double seat in. Saves on budget, no holes to drill etc. They're not quite in the perfect place, too far back, but I'm on a budget so needs must. Its one of the reasons I bought a minibus in the first place, to take one part of the build off the list. You? Are you hoping new seats will match up with the 3xosting fittings?
Transitpete123
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Transitpete123 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 am

*existing
Transitpete123
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Cheet22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:53 am

Well my initial hopes were/are to move one of the twin seats too the front row (replacing the bigger tripple) as i only need 2 seats and it would free up some space. Just not sure though they will line up to mounting points so if i have to mess about with that i might look at other seat options.

I see tons of more comfy looking seats with belts online and not really that crazy expensive in some cases. But as you are, i am on a budget and probably have many more important things to spend on just now.
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cheet22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Finally, the seats are out! And i quick check and looks like the twin seat from the second row will fit where the triple was in front row. Three holes line up perfectly but two i will need to drill into base of seat to line then up to chassis holes.

So think i will keep the twin for kids but at very front so keeps me 240cm to play with behind
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cheet22 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:18 pm

Transitepete,

I don't know if I'm getting too carried away here, and whether in just trying to get too much into the space.

But i was thinking, what if i had two folding "taxi or cinema style" seats, where the bases flip up flat to back, and installed them just almost level with the edge of the sliding door in the open position? As our bus door only slides open a couple of feet and not all the way, this means seats are as far to front as poss, and legroom needed is that wasted space at doorway, which is plenty.

This means of have the whole length of the other side to back of drivers seat. And if you put a swivel on front bench seat, that would make a nice seating area at the door.

The issue are - how easy is it to fit two such seats there? I can see some online for not a lot at all with seat belts But they may need bases welded on to bolt through floor. Seems to be well away from diesel tank so ok there.

Could also have a steel upright on the left edge as you sit in them, which i can use to support the bed idea we were talking about.

Just seems a good idea to use that wasted space at the door for legroom when seated, but seats folded out the way when not needed.

But is this a good idea? I can weld, but is that legaL for me to do that? Maybe i could get someone to do this but that will be costly i bet.

Yep - I'm in a creative, ignore the budget, mood lol. Might not last.....

I've ordered the sound deadening, closed cell insulation and vapour foil, so thats the first job next weekend now it's all cleaned out.
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transitpete123 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:04 pm

That sounds like it could work, and would certainly give you lots of space! I keep going back and forth about drilling new holes for a new place for the seats but have now decided for good that it's not worth the time and expense, I can't weld and would definitely need to have someone else do it. Maybe I'm just lazy!?

I think because I'm not trying to squeeze a toilet cubicle in and upright storage I'm in a better position than you for space, we've decided to put a removable slide out bench style bed tucked under the main bed shelf which would take up some garage space when in use but not a huge amount most of the time. It would tuck in behind the two rear passenger seats that we are leaving in their original position. Then kitchen unit where you are describing having your folding seats, next to the sliding side door, and toilet box and fridge behind the drivers seat maybe? The last few details are where it starts to get a little wooly.

I took out the floor and most of the headlining/ panelling today. Floor needs a good treat in places where some rust has developed and its pretty grubby. I've also decided to keep the existing headlining and put it back I once the insulation in the roof is done. As opposed to new tongue and groove or ply. Again another job that doesn't really need doing. It's quite fragile though so getting it out without damaging it is a little tricky.

I'm a bit confused about the vapour barrier issue, having read very conflicting reports about whether it is a good idea to let the insulation breathe. I know that Greg vergoe swears by it and he clearly knows what he's taling about, but I'm not sure I'd be able to guarantee that it would be completely air tight so I think I'm gojng to go with breathable mold and moisture resistant recycled plastic insulation and not worry about the vapour barrier too much. What's your opinion? Am I mad?!
Transitpete123
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Cheet22 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm

It's really down to which video or blog i read last lol

I figured the foil barrier is best just from what I've seen, but you are right it needs to be air tight.

I've taken my headliner down - even with a trim remover tool those headliner clips were a mare. I ended up just slotting tin cutters in to cut then off! There is little leverage without busting the liner.

You know, i just came across these bunk beds online.

https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/kam ... e-camp-bed

If that link does not work just Google campervan bunkbeds. These might work for me, just clip legs on at night. Then i can sit kids beds in the middle really anywhere at night. This one also on Amazon. 90 quid and saves a chunk of work.

You're right - my killer is the toilet. But wife insists!! I also want to be able to carry timber etc for house jobs so I'm definitely creating sofa/pull out bed type thing rather than fixed bed at rear.

Just wish i had more space!!
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions