*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New MK7 project

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: New MK7 project

Postby Cheet22 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 pm

Transitpete,

I've taken a bit of time to think through the plans and spend i see when i list everything out, and reality (i.e. the wife) is kicking in a bit.

I'm going to stop trying too hard to fit everything in this space, it's just limited and i need to focus on making it work with reasonable spend.

So I've now got my twin seats back in second row, and i am going to put a cubicle in front of them with a thetford 565e toilet. The cassette style are easy more money and location is bad with the van side panel uprights to fit. I'm also going to put headliner back as you are.

I'm into insulation just now. What are you using again on the side walls?

I'm going to just use a small water tank for now under a sofa seat etc, just so it works enough to see how we use it.

I will be going back to the original idea of kids beds somehow across the van.

My next purchase though is the electrics. I still want a solar kit and hook up, but also split relay off the main two batteries. Just need to Google on how to connect to main batteries.
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transitpete123 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Yes my wife and I have also had the back to reality / how much do we really want this to cost chat. Ita crazy how much the price starts to creep up when you start adding on little bits here and there. Thetford toilet is the way we are going too.

I'm planning on using recycled plastic insulation, soft fluff that comes in a roll. It's moisture resistant and has a good r value, mold resistant too. I was considering sheep's Wool but apparently this stuff is cheaper and less absorbant. Can't find it anywhere locally though so I will have to order online. I'll also be filling the cracks / pillars etc with it as much as I can and maybe using expanding foam if I need to. On the ceiling I might use the foam Kingspan style boards if they are the easiest, haven't quite got that far yet

Electrics seem very expensive, I'm considering trying to get by on solar and split relay with a big leisure battery and no hookup as apart from a fridge I wont be running much electric. I feel totally clueless about electrics though, I have a neighbour who is has just finished a conversion who I might ask. It seems that buying the gear isn't very pricey. But getting it done by a professional costs a fortune, so I'm going to have to get my head around it. Just not sure how much wiring to Bury in the walls. Oh decisions, decisions.
Transitpete123
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Cheet22 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:17 pm

I know lol. I'm lying awake at night thinking of what to do and how!

It's taking over my life already.

I'm pretty confident with electrics to be honest, so once i know best way to link to existing 2 batteries in good. I've read some info that suggests not to connect to them at all, leave them be. But seems logical to charge my new leisure battery off the engine at least.

Same as you too, i think I've read to many ideas and good vans and want everything.. But in reality what will we actually use/need? Somewhere to sit out the rain, sleep for some long weekends and a toilet for kids in night. Much more is really extra and not essential.

But..i don't want to do all this work insulating etc then wish I'd run the extra wires.

I'm searching for an electrics kit then seeing if it's cheaper to buy in bits, will draw out my diagram then too.
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions