*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear travel seats

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Rear travel seats

Postby Cheet22 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 pm

I need to have 2 rear travel seats with seatbelts for my mk7 transit conversion.

What have others done in this area?

I'm can think of twin seats from other vans, even the ones i took out the minibus here, but they don't look that great.

It's it legit/good idea even to build a bench seat (like 2 facing each other that turn into bed) but install seat belts on the two front facing seats? Like wooden seats but with belts and foam cushions etc?

Or what if they were made from steel and bolted to floor?

I know seat belts need to be anchored to chassis regardless of course.

Need ideas as putting two normal seats in just takes up too much space
Cheet22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rear travel seats

Postby Digahole78 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 pm

From what I've read making your own seats is a no go as they need to be certified to be insured and legal (could be wrong so do some research). I fitted 3 individual rear seats from a transit custom torneo. They are quick release with intergrated belts etc. Fitted in a mk8. Very comfortable. Lots of regs around how to fit them and you need to have them certified by an engineer after.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ronaldos » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:31 pm

I changed the 2 back seats to a sofa bed and I had a place to sleep, very convenient.
ronaldos

Postby Woodenman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:25 pm

I have got 2 removable seats from a tourneo? or custom minibus in mine. their rails are bolted through the floor to plates on 12mm bolts
Woodenman
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Juliet799 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 pm

It's tough to sleep on an RV sofa bed since it's harsh on the back over time. You'll also start to feel like you're sleeping on a rock. Fortunately, you can make your couch bed more luxurious and comfortable so that you can get a good night's sleep in a soothing environment.
Juliet799

Return to Camper vans and conversions