*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

460 minibus camper conversion

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: 460 minibus camper conversion

Postby johnporter11 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:53 pm

Rob, I note that your jack is still in there under the seat. How do you get it out? I have the French swivel also, but there isn't enough room to get it out.
James, regarding the fixings, you just give them a good yank. Sometimes they break, but they're not too expensive, and you can get suitable aftermarket ones also. Be careful, some panels are joined to the next with little tags that are part of the panel, and they can break off. I'm almost finished my project now and I've retained most of the original trim, including all of the roof trim and floor. Having said that, a lot of the side trim is covered up.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JamesHow » Fri May 21, 2021 2:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll do it later in the year I think.

Do you have any pics / thread of your conversion?

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi John,

You’re right the jack wont come out without loosening the screws that hold the seat swivel. But since I don’t carry a spare wheel (and wouldn’t fancy trying to change one at the side of the road anyway) I figured that if I ever need the jack I can easily loosen the seat and lift it out... I carry some emergency puncture repair slime in case of emergencies. I wonder what other 460 drivers do for spare wheels? They don’t have spares in standard minbus trim but they do have the bracket underneath so you could if you really wanted to.
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rob62 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Bit of an update.. progress been a little bit slow recently, all this crap weather doesn’t help.. After fitting the seats and running a bit of trunking and cable i started on the floor
Ive seen various methods of filling the holes in the floor left after removing the seat rails, from tape to gluing 5pence pieces...what better way than using the screws, just put a bit of copper grease on to prevent corrosion and a bit of mastic.
Then I fitted some battens down with sika522, filled in the gaps with kingspan and taped over with 100mm aluminium tape.
Next job was to cut some 12mm ply .. all the joints will be either in the garage or under the bench so I didn’t bother to biscuit joint them. They were pretty good even so.
I drilled holes to enable me to bolt down some luggage loops to the chassis for securing the motorbikes. They will also help prevent the floor from lifting in case of an accident... The floor is then screwed down into the battens but not through into the steel base.
Then I set about insulating the sides with dial recycled plastic bottle stuff... its easy to use but doesn’t go far, 6 rolls up to press, imagine if it was a panel van with no windows..!
Then I’ve been fitting some moisture barrier...
I’ve been collecting stuff in the background, some anthracite carpet, a maxxair delux etc but need a bit of dry weather before I fit that... Looking forward to finishing the insulation and panels and getting on with the furniture....
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Sat May 22, 2021 9:23 pm

JamesHow wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers James

I'm hopefully nearing completion (to a useable condition) in a few weeks. I'll do a series of pics then.
You've done a fine job of the floor. I've re-used the original floor, after insulating with closed-cell self adhesive foam where possible and a final layer of reflectix. But I'm thinking I might have been better to do what you did. No going back now...
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JamesHow » Sat May 22, 2021 10:03 pm

Where did you get that recycled insulation?

B & Q????

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Sat May 22, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi james, yes B&Q, £16 a roll... easy to use though and no irritation. Nice kitchen unit btw, i looked at your pictures :-)
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rob62 » Sat May 22, 2021 10:48 pm

johnporter11 wrote:

Cheers James

I'm hopefully nearing completion (to a useable condition) in a few weeks. I'll do a series of pics then.
You've done a fine job of the floor. I've re-used the original floor, after insulating with closed-cell self adhesive foam where possible and a final layer of reflectix. But I'm thinking I might have been better to do what you did. No going back now...

It’ll be fine.. the original floor is well made... mine is sat in the garage waiting for the skip no doubt :-(
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Sun May 23, 2021 6:36 pm

Rob62 wrote:
johnporter11 wrote:

Cheers James

It’ll be fine.. the original floor is well made... mine is sat in the garage waiting for the skip no doubt :-(

If anyone wants to use your floor, I can provide CNC'd 6mm MDF blanks to fill the holes left by the seat brackets.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:31 pm

Nice one john... :D
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JamesHow » Thu May 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Your tempting me to rip up my floor and take the brackets out!

My plan is to put coin rubber matting over laminate underlay in the rear and carpet in the front.

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Thu May 27, 2021 5:56 pm

If you’re gonna do it now’s the time... :D
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stromin » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:34 am

Rob62 wrote:Hi all, I’m going to keep a diary on here of my progress throughout the conversion.
Rob.

Hi, I've just joined this forum, I currently have a deposit down on a 2015 Minibus Transit 2.2TDCi 460 L4H3, if all goes well I'll pick it up in a few weeks. I'm having all the "am I doing the right thing" jitters with regards to the vehicle weight classification, insurance, DVLA and reclassification etc. I found this forum and in particular this thread and feel a whole lot better.

From what I read it looks like Adrian Flux is probably one on the best to go with? We intend it to be a quick conversion, potentially working with a local converter for some of the work.

I work in Solidworks and was going to plan the layout in CAD first so it was good to see you had done the same, I've been searching for the vehicle CAD model did you create it yourself or download it?

Good work on the build btw.
Stromin
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:42 am

The good thing about converting a 460 is the road tax stays the same @ £160 ish
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rob62 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:18 am

Stromin wrote:
Rob62 wrote:Hi all, I’m going to keep a diary on here of my progress throughout the conversion.
Rob.

Hi, I've just joined this forum, I currently have a deposit down on a 2015 Minibus Transit 2.2TDCi 460 L4H3, if all goes well I'll pick it up in a few weeks. I'm having all the "am I doing the right thing" jitters with regards to the vehicle weight classification, insurance, DVLA and reclassification etc. I found this forum and in particular this thread and feel a whole lot better.

From what I read it looks like Adrian Flux is probably one on the best to go with? We intend it to be a quick conversion, potentially working with a local converter for some of the work.

I work in Solidworks and was going to plan the layout in CAD first so it was good to see you had done the same, I've been searching for the vehicle CAD model did you create it yourself or download it?

Good work on the build btw.

Hi mate, thanks... I did the CAD model myself, it not super detailed but accurate enough to plan your build, it’s based on the inside skin of the van with all the trim and floor stripped out. I can send you a copy if you like, let me know.
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions