*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pros & cons of using LPG vs Diesel heaters for winter travel

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Pros & cons of using LPG vs Diesel heaters for winter travel

Postby workbox » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 am

Pros & cons of using LPG vs Diesel heaters for winter travels with no particular order.

1. LPG heaters works quieter in general and there is no ticking noise.

2. LPG cleaner burning fuel as result require less maintenance.
Emits up to 120 times lesser particulate emissions than diesel, 96 % lesser nitrogen dioxides (NOx) than diesel.

3. LPG much more reliable in winters.
LPG freezing temp. approx. -188C, diesel start to gel at approx. -10 and at -30C great trouble begins unless use of additives.

4. LPG can easily be used for interior heater, water heater, three-way fridge, electricity generator & cooking with variety of appliances to choose from.

5. LPG cost far less to refill.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Pros & cons of using LPG vs Diesel heaters for winter tr

Postby dumper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am

I ran a Propex 2000 heat source for years the cons for this for me
1.the amount of gas I had to carry at first I had two 3.5 kg bottles and running it for 12 hours on a rally I was changing a bottle every 4 events in the end I had to give up cupboard space and fit a 13.5 bottle and still have one 3.5 kg bottle as well both piped up so as one run out it was just turn one off and the other on .
2 I wouldn’t go back to a Propex even if I fitted a under floor tank to get the storage space back in as the thermostat control on it was up and down all the time it was constantly switching on and off ( this may have been better if I’d gone for the smaller 1600 model) because the heat output is constant they just switch on till up to temperature and then cut back in when it drops

Pros 1. for diesel less weight to carry I only have a3.5 kg gas for cooking
2. The heater is more controllable you can get the van upto temperature and it will just tickover all day at a constant heat the Eberspacer D3lI had did fluctuate slightly on output on the thermostat and odd times run a bit cooler the desired and needed turning up a bit I have since decided to try a plannair Chinese heater as it can be set on pump pulses per minute and is completely constant on the output you require .

Cons if running off the van tank the cost of fuel but my mpg doesn’t drop off to much you could run it off red with a separate tank but for me that would be to much mucking about you just have to make sure you have enough fuel before parking up I’d only go for a gas one if I had a underfloor tank and a modern gas heater was more controllable.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby workbox » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Agreed, when diesel heater running all night long at very low speed to keep temp at certain degree is huge advantage.

Another Pros for diesel tank is not pressurized.
But after looking at all 5 Pros I decide to go with lpg.
I guess travel preferences made my choice. : )

At the moment I have 25L underslung tank which last about 2 weeks in the winter.
But I was looking to extend off grid stay and now little dilemma either install diesel heater as backup or use bigger lpg tank.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 pm

I’ve not run the plannair one much. But at around £100 it’s not much of a risk as a backup as for the lpg I think there are some that are like a miniature home heating system witch would be constant heat if the propex had been variable output like the Eberspacer I would have kept it and fitted a under slung tank with you having one it makes sense to go gas .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Camper vans and conversions