*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Renogy DCDC 50A

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Renogy DCDC 50A

Postby johnporter11 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:43 pm

IMG_4627.JPG
I managed to get my DCDC charger fitted today. And it works!
I have a cupboard/drawer unit directly behind the drivers seat, with two 100AH batteries underneath, so there is minimal distance between vehicle and leisure batteries.
The DCDC and inverter are mounted on the cupboard unit, so plenty of cooling also.
I picked a switched live from a 20A fuse under the steering wheel with piggyback and 3A fuse in it for the ignition live feed.
Everything seems to work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Renogy DCDC 50A

Postby johnporter11 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm

Now that I have my 175w Renogy semi-flexible solar panel fitted and connected, everything seems to be working fine. Up to 14v showing in the two 100AH EFB batteries.
And the icing on the cake....today the alternator light on the unit was flashing slow red = leisure batteries fully charged, solar charging the van battery. Result!
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby J.J McDuff » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:28 am

John, where did you connect the negative from the DC2DC Charger? I'm designing something similar but the charger I have (Enerdrive 40+) says to connect negative on the vehicle side of the battery sensor module (for smart alternator equipped vehicles)
J.J McDuff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bortaf » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:13 pm

I've just completed the same on my Mk7 ambulance 8)
It's a nice bit of kit but you need to switch off the solar if you want more than 25A of Dc to Dc when driving but i like it :D
If it sees ANY power at all from the solar it caps the Dc to Dc to 25A, switch off the solar and the Dc side will ramp up to 40ish Amps :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFkbypCU4o
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby johnporter11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:37 pm

J.J McDuff wrote:John, where did you connect the negative from the DC2DC Charger? I'm designing something similar but the charger I have (Enerdrive 40+) says to connect negative on the vehicle side of the battery sensor module (for smart alternator equipped vehicles)

Yes, JJ, there is a terminal available on the vehicle side of the sensor module. That's where I put it. I'll post a picture later if I can.
As you can see from my post, I'm less than 500mm from the van batteries.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:41 pm

bortaf wrote:I've just completed the same on my Mk7 ambulance 8)
It's a nice bit of kit but you need to switch off the solar if you want more than 25A of Dc to Dc when driving but i like it :D
If it sees ANY power at all from the solar it caps the Dc to Dc to 25A, switch off the solar and the Dc side will ramp up to 40ish Amps :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFkbypCU4o

I haven't seen the need for the full 40-50 amps yet. But I have the breaker for the solar input just behind my head behind the driver seat. I guess the best time to recover the solar charge is when you're static anyway, and maximise the alternator charge.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby J.J McDuff » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:56 pm

johnporter11 wrote:
J.J McDuff wrote:John, where did you connect the negative from the DC2DC Charger? I'm designing something similar but the charger I have (Enerdrive 40+) says to connect negative on the vehicle side of the battery sensor module (for smart alternator equipped vehicles)

Yes, JJ, there is a terminal available on the vehicle side of the sensor module. That's where I put it. I'll post a picture later if I can.
As you can see from my post, I'm less than 500mm from the van batteries.

Just checking in to see if you might have had a chance to upload that picture yet John?
J.J McDuff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:54 pm

I hope this picture uploads. Leisure battery system negatives attached to van negative side of the the van battery. I had to modify the cover plate to gain easy access to the battery post, i.e. not damage the incoming negative leads.
I have to say the whole system seems to be working fine. When travelling on dull days I disconnect the solar input via the breaker which is sited just behind the driver, which apparently allows the Renogy DCDC charger to take the full charge current from the alternator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions