*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Folding kids bunk beds mk8 L3H3

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Folding kids bunk beds mk8 L3H3

Postby Digahole78 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 am

Hello. Thought I best share pics of my folding kids bunks before I hide all the detail behind a ceiling.

I needed my van to be useful when not camping so set myself a goal of being still able to fit pallets or 8x4 sheets flat on the floor. Opted to hinge kids beds from the side wall and have them suspended from the ceiling so they are out of the way when not being used.

Big issue was ensuring ceiling would be strong enough so I fabricated an additional support to fit around existing roof beam which distributes load to the walls. Support is made from 1" box and 6mm plate. At the rear I was able to suspend bunks from the much stronger rear beam above the doors.

Buckles and eye bolts are racing harness components and I have used 75mm webbing for the straps sewn with nylon thread.

Bunk bed frames are made from phenolic ply because I had some going spare. Ratchet straps that hold them up will be replaced with tidy latches soon.

All up works really well and they can be folded with duvet and pillows in place which makes nightime setup effortless. Zero flex in van roof even with my jumping around on them.

Excuse unfinished interior. It's a work in progress that is getting used every sunny weekend at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Folding kids bunk beds mk8 L3H3

Postby JamesHow » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 am

Top job.

What are you doing for a cooker in using a suitcase one but would like to upgrade but not have a hose and bottle jobbie.
Any suggestions?

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Folding kids bunk beds mk8 L3H3

Postby Digahole78 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:25 pm

Hi James. I opted for suitcase style but made a pocket for it to live in when packed away. You slide the worktop panel next to the sink forward which exposes the cooker. It lifts out and the worktop slides back. Keeps it tucked away when not being used. Only tend to use it for cups of tea as always bbq outside if I have the choice.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Camper vans and conversions