*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Old floor glued - how to remove?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Old floor glued - how to remove?

Postby happychappy74 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:47 am

Hi,
New to the forum and converting my 1st van. It's a Mk8 ex-water company van and I've just drilled through the rivets in order to lift the floor. I've got the main floor panels up but found some smaller pieces under that which have been glued down - does anyone have any suggestions to on how best to remove these.
Also, although I got the heads off all the rivets, some of the shafts are still stuck in place - they haven't popped out easily as per the many youtube videos I watched! :roll:
Thanks in advance! :) PS, sorry for the sideways pic!
20210801_150712.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
happychappy74

Re: Old floor glued - how to remove?

Postby dumper » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:55 am

You could leave them in to support the new floor it will stop it flexing a lot of camper builds they start by doing that but if you want to remove them to put insulation under the floor I never have on my last two vans and I use mine all year round you could get a a large decorating flat blade scraper and tap it in between the battens and the floor with a hammer to brake the seal.
Drill the pop rivets.all the way through them or get a smart punch and knock them out.
when I expanded the photo on my iPad it turned it upright so no problem .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Old floor glued - how to remove?

Postby happychappy74 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 am

dumper wrote:You could leave them in to support the new floor it will stop it flexing a lot of camper builds they start by doing that but if you want to remove them to put insulation under the floor I never have on my last two vans and I use mine all year round you could get a a large decorating flat blade scraper and tap it in between the battens and the floor with a hammer to brake the seal.
Drill the pop rivets.all the way through them or get a smart punch and knock them out.
when I expanded the photo on my iPad it turned it upright so no problem .

Great, thank you! :D
happychappy74

Return to Camper vans and conversions