*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

WAV Wheelchair restraint removal

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: WAV Wheelchair restraint removal

Postby Karina_T » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:21 am

5quirrel wrote:Doh, updated link: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf_UvIvgbUc/ - sorry.

I'm about to embark on exactly the same process and would love to see what you've done.
The Instagram link sadly doesn't work for me though. Any ideas?

I just made my first post above. Looking for a solution to the ramp removal process.

So...... the long and short of it seems to be that you can't remove the ramp and leave the hinge in place? Meaning that the ramp itself must be chopped off?
I'm wondering if a different pivot might be fitted along the chopped bumper to give it structural integrity but.... looking at the mechanic's advice in this thread, I get the idea of the structural integrity afforded by the ramp itself.
Shame as I'd have liked to have hung onto that in case of moving amps/gear around when doing band trips.

I can't see that counting as a modification - my new ride is insured as having WAV body mods already - to answer someone else's question I got decent priced insurance approx £650 via Elephant even though I'm not a wheelchair user - no blue badge.
Then I had to retax it as a standard diesel car. So another £165 for the year.

Already learning tons - just a shame it's so close to Christmas or I'd be out there on the floor already! It's going to have to wait till next week - in the meantime I guess I might take an aged relative out for a spin with her mobiltiy scooter!
Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 310 EcoBlue Titanium 128bhp 284.00 torque Independence RS model
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karina_T » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:35 am

Also....

Just came across these couple of videos that folk might find useful.

The first is of Allied Motors - how they convert the Tourneo in the first place - showing the dropped floor construction etc.
https://youtu.be/5Q1NDYvTUUA

and this is how Auto Campers have converted a WAV Tourneo (like mine) into a WAV campervan.
Most intriguing is their 'suspended bed' design... I like the idea of the slatted alu and rails to go across the van.
https://youtu.be/v0LWxI45ClI

I'm full of enthusiasm but also daunted by the prospect of the road ahead.
I previously 'converted' my exAA T4 as a part time camper and I can still remember the quantity of info I had to digest before getting out the toolbox. And that didn't require any ramp removal.... Hey ho.
Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 310 EcoBlue Titanium 128bhp 284.00 torque Independence RS model
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karina_T » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:40 am

And my final question for today is:

Has anyone removed the internal trim in their Tourneo to add insulation? Not just sound insulation but thermal?
In my T4 I used sheeps wool in the cavity walls and hemp in the roof (all came from Amdro conversions as a pack) and it was snug in the cold and cool in the summer.
The new bus is terribly ringy which I assume means it's basically hollow.

I'm guessing the roof lining may be my biggest challenge. Is there much space above for example?

Final thing - winch and wiring removal - I guess I could do this when I remove the interior trim?

Sorry to bombard with a million questions as once. There will be more!
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karina_T » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:51 am

5quirrel wrote:Doh, updated link: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf_UvIvgbUc/ - sorry.

Hi Stephen,

Alas this link isn't working for me - any ideas? I'm keen to find as many pics as possible before I start with the angle grinder!

Karina.
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 5quirrel » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:24 pm

I've moved the photos to a google drive if that works for you: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/157S4Z-FTtTnxKMgY2bkJAt2JYdNX-Ukc?usp=sharing

Stephen
Tourneo Custom 2017 Diesel Bus 2.0 EcoBlue FWD V362 F3 1995cc 77KW 105HP YLFS
5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karina_T » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:33 pm

Really helpful photographic record of your conversion. Thanks so much.
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions