*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2016 ford transit conversion, advice needed please

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

2016 ford transit conversion, advice needed please

Postby pokie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:06 am

Hi All

I have just recently purchased a ford transit 2016 high roof and what i think, going by measurements, is a XLWB, purchased from auction so there was very little info and had to go by pictures, thought it was a lwb but was surprised and pleased to find it was a jumbo.

Anyway bit of a long story as to why im doing this now, just turned 60, was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in 2018 and was given at the time 3-4 years :( so bit of a bucket list challenge and decided to go for it as covid put a halt to most of my bucket list.

Advice i need at present is as this is a 2016 mk8 i gathered it would be fitted with a smart alternator, but doing the voltage test, the voltage does not drop?

am i to assume i do not have a smart alternator?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help, sorry if it seems a silly question but i am a bit of a newbie to this and mainly gong from you tube videos
pokie

Re: 2016 ford transit conversion, advice needed please

Postby johnporter11 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am

I've just recently finished a conversion of the same. I'm guessing yours is a 17 seater. It'll be a LWB extra length chassis (jumbo).
Yes it will have a smart alternator. Why do you need to know?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 am

Pokie, just leading on from my previous post. No doubt you have some idea of what you want. Given your unfortunate situation I wish you well. My requirement was to have two beds and four belted seats. I wanted to utilise as much of the OEM finish/trim, saving me from building in different trim. This might be of interest to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pokie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am

johnporter11 wrote:I've just recently finished a conversion of the same. I'm guessing yours is a 17 seater. It'll be a LWB extra length chassis (jumbo).
Yes it will have a smart alternator. Why do you need to know?

Hi
thanks for the reply and ideas.

Sorry for the confusion, but mine is a transit panel van, not a mini bus, i only realised it was the xlwb when ripping up the old flooring and it had "jumbo" written on the underside of the ply

I am just planning the wiring and was lead to believe it makes a difference if it has a smart alternator as to how it charges the Leisure battery? such as a split relay etc?

Again any advice on this would be welcomed as i am a complete newbie to this
pokie

Postby dumper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am

Hi you need a b2b something like a Sterling I fitted a 75 amp one from 12 volt planet.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnporter11 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:15 pm

As dumper says, you need B2B (otherwise known as DC/DC). Normal split relay won't work with smart alternator.
Dumper used Sterling. I used Renogy. Some use CTEK.
In terms of layout, try to keep your charger (and battery bank) as close as possible to the van battery, i.e. behind the drivers seat, to enable you to use the smallest gauge leads. Also, if you're thinking about fitting an inverter for battery-supplied 230v, put it close to your battery bank.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:44 pm

johnporter11 wrote:As dumper says, you need B2B (otherwise known as DC/DC). Normal split relay won't work with smart alternator.
Dumper used Sterling. I used Renogy. Some use CTEK.
In terms of layout, try to keep your charger (and battery bank) as close as possible to the van battery, i.e. behind the drivers seat, to enable you to use the smallest gauge leads. Also, if you're thinking about fitting an inverter for battery-supplied 230v, put it close to your battery bank.

Spot on john
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby pokie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Thanks again for all the advice

Just been told that i do not have a smart alternator, and as such will need a vsr or split charge relay? again all very confusing for myself

I was planning putting the leisure batteries at the back of the vehicle, drivers side, as you say the car battery is under the drivers side, would you advise this as was planning on having a shower behind the drivers seat?

So the leisure batteries would be under the bed by the rear door and hoping to put most of the electrics in that position
pokie

Postby dumper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Not that I’m a expert on electrics but I was under the impression that all mk 8s are smart alternators the b2b type are very quick at changing but expensive someone with more experience will pop up and tell you if you have one . As for battery location mine are just underneath the bed just passed the sliding door drivers side and he Sterling is in a cupboard 6 inches behind the drivers seat .
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnporter11 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 am

pokie wrote:Thanks again for all the advice

Just been told that i do not have a smart alternator, and as such will need a vsr or split charge relay? again all very confusing for myself

I was planning putting the leisure batteries at the back of the vehicle, drivers side, as you say the car battery is under the drivers side, would you advise this as was planning on having a shower behind the drivers seat?

So the leisure batteries would be under the bed by the rear door and hoping to put most of the electrics in that position

A Euro6 van is bound to have a smart alternator surely. Regarding battery location, I took a purist attitude to it and mine couldn't be any closer! However, it's not uncommon to have the batteries at the back. You'll need to calculate the cable sizing for a 5 metre run (8 metres if you route them up along the main loom) and be vary careful not to let them heat up, never mind voltage loss. That said, it would be very convenient to have them at the back door.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:08 pm

Yes as others have said you need a Battery to Battery charger. Yes they are expensive, but well worth it in my opinion, as they charge your leisure battery so much more quickly that a standard relay, plus keep your battery in good health.

All the best to you buddy - wishing you much happy motorcaravanning.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Go for a B2B which will switch to charging your starter battery when the leisure batteries are full. Renogy, Sterling, CTEK. There may be others. But make sure that's in the spec.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby workbox » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:14 pm

A little bit of topic, but I would suggest to check water leaks from roof down to the sides using jet wash.
I had one side leak right from 0 miles transit.

Video link below about sprinter but exact same issue with transit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o4sdk7zNhE
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:50 pm

johnporter11 wrote:Go for a B2B which will switch to charging your starter battery when the leisure batteries are full. Renogy, Sterling, CTEK. There may be others. But make sure that's in the spec.

I have the CTEK and it's great, charges the leisure battery from the starter battery while the engine is running - charges from the solar panel all the time (MPPT so good quality solar controller), and trickle charges the starter battery from the solar once the leisure battery is full.

I had a few starter battery issues with going flat over the first covid lockdown (and during the van conversion process with leaving doors open!) - hasn't happened once since I fitted the CTEK & Solar
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:04 pm

I believe the CTEK requires a D+ signal. How did you address that?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions