*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Electrical wiring job in Cornwall or New Forest?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Electrical wiring job in Cornwall or New Forest?

Postby ShellOtta » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Am looking to employ someone to do some wiring for my van conversion. It will involve temporarily disconnecting the starter battery and installing a new leisure battery then maybe connecting up the lights to the fuse box. The van has a water pump, 2 x 12v sockets, solar panel, control panel and invertor already installed. Lights purchased but not installed. Everything is currently connected through a fuse box to the starter battery which was temporary done by my ex. I am going to complete the rest of the conversion by myself but the electrical stuff is too overwhelming for me. I can assist the work without getting in your way if that is helpful. I have lots of bits like fuses etc, but may need to purchase better cabling, not sure if what has been used is suitable. Rate to be negotiated, I have set aside a budget, could be stretched a little, can be discussed. Will need to bring the van to you as I don't have space to work at my home (town centre block of flats with no parking). Can bring van for an initial assessment & quote for work in advance so you can see.
I am based in Penzance, but also have family in the New Forest who I plan to visit at Half Term so if someone in that area wants to get in touch that could work too.

Any takers?

Cheers
Complete Newbie - First conversion Ford Transit Mk 7 MWB (Moonbeam)
ShellOtta

Re: Electrical wiring job in Cornwall or New Forest?

Postby JamesHow » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:29 am

I think you'll struggle to find a stranger to fit a split relay / vsr.

I'd look for a conversion company who will do it for you.

It's a quick enough job then you can go do the lights.

Tbh if you can wire a plug the vsr isn't hard to wire in. If you buy a kit off eBay they have the instructions with them.

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ShellOtta » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:56 pm

Massive thanks to Tony (TBVAN) who did some wiring work on my van today. Thoroughly nice bloke, and great work, much tidier! Has given me much peace of mind now everything is off the starter battery and connected to the new leisure battery. Just the boost of motivation I needed to get the conversion finished properly this winter ready for trips next year.

Has anyone else stalled in their conversion work and found it hard to get restarted?? As a complete novice, a DIY conversion is quite overwhelming!

Thanks for the advice James, not installing split relay at the moment, still trying to decide whether to go that route or not. Have 200w solar and very little hooked up right now (water pump and 200w invertor).
Complete Newbie - First conversion Ford Transit Mk 7 MWB (Moonbeam)
ShellOtta

Postby tbullivant » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:23 am

We've stalled a bit, all the big stuff is done and we've been away in it a few times but it having the motivation to finish off all the little bits that we are lacking...
2006 2.4 RWD LWB 90/350 hightop - camper conversion
tbullivant
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions