*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Overhead storage weight limit

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Overhead storage weight limit

Postby Jgresh » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:27 pm

I am thinking about storing the battery in the overhead storage unit about the passenger seats.

Does anyone know what the maximum weight is that the factory fitted shelf for a 2011 ford transit will take is?

Further, is there any obvious reason not to store the battery here? It will be boxed and fixed in place.

Cheers
Jgresh

Re: Overhead storage weight limit

Postby dumper » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:43 am

It would probably be ok but from a safety point of view in a accident and it gets smashed I hate to have acid running on me all my battery’s on mine have been secured to the floor under a bunk and the only risk is from side impact.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:07 pm

I reckon it would be fine. Even it it was damaged in an accident it's unlikely the acid would touch you, it would run down the sides etc. Any if you're concerned aboout that, get a gel battery. As longs as it's securely clamped.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:I reckon it would be fine. Even it it was damaged in an accident it's unlikely the acid would touch you, it would run down the sides etc. Any if you're concerned aboout that, get a gel battery. As longs as it's securely clamped.

From a driveing point of view even with a gel battery I wouldn’t want it high up in the van from a handling point of view something as heavy as battery wants to be as low as possible the heaviest item on my van up high is a 500 watt microwave as the only other place would be under the sink where it could get wet .
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:39 pm

dumper wrote:
hectors-tranny wrote:I reckon it would be fine. Even it it was damaged in an accident it's unlikely the acid would touch you, it would run down the sides etc. Any if you're concerned aboout that, get a gel battery. As longs as it's securely clamped.

From a driveing point of view even with a gel battery I wouldn’t want it high up in the van from a handling point of view something as heavy as battery wants to be as low as possible the heaviest item on my van up high is a 500 watt microwave as the only other place would be under the sink where it could get wet .

Fair enough buddy, but I'm not sure sure I'd even notice 20kg on the parcel shelf in a 3 ton tranny. I don't notice when I have that weight on my roofrack to be honest.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:33 pm

Over the last weekend in Scotland and followed a lot of campers a lot manufactured ones and the body roll was frightening if you have a lot of lockers up top and by the time they get filled up you get a lot of weight up high in my own van I have a locker in the kitchen and that’s mainly fo the microwave and a few plastic items all the heavy stuff is in the kitchen unit in the bedroom I have two full length shelves with a 6 inch lip to stop items falling out all my heavy stuff is in the bunks that includes two batteries and the night heater oh and loads of tined food.and beer.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

dumper wrote:Over the last weekend in Scotland and followed a lot of campers a lot manufactured ones and the body roll was frightening if you have a lot of lockers up top and by the time they get filled up you get a lot of weight up high in my own van I have a locker in the kitchen and that’s mainly fo the microwave and a few plastic items all the heavy stuff is in the kitchen unit in the bedroom I have two full length shelves with a 6 inch lip to stop items falling out all my heavy stuff is in the bunks that includes two batteries and the night heater oh and loads of tined food.and beer.

I had another thought after this reply I’m not sure if it can happen with modern sealed for life batteries in my working life the old top up type many have blown up sometimes it’s been when changing/ jumping off but the odd one just turning the ignition on and to be honest this has been one of my main concerns since the mk6 first came out and we are all know sitting on top of a battery bomb if you have seen a battery go up at close quarters you would be worried as well I think there was a post sometime back of this happening with painful results.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:33 pm

dumper wrote:Over the last weekend in Scotland and followed a lot of campers a lot manufactured ones and the body roll was frightening if you have a lot of lockers up top and by the time they get filled up you get a lot of weight up high in my own van I have a locker in the kitchen and that’s mainly fo the microwave and a few plastic items all the heavy stuff is in the kitchen unit in the bedroom I have two full length shelves with a 6 inch lip to stop items falling out all my heavy stuff is in the bunks that includes two batteries and the night heater oh and loads of tined food.and beer.

Yeah I guess it would depend on how much other weight you have up high - good point.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions