*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sink water pump issue

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Sink water pump issue

Postby Hanks Transit » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:06 am

I’ve got a submersible water pump sitting in a 10-litre tank, feeding a Dometic tap – pretty standard fare for a Transit camper conversion i think. It’s been working fine for 12 months but now I get no water from the tap!

I can hear the microswitch kick on and the pump impeller spins but all I get from the tap is a couple of drips. I’ve checked for kinks in the pipe and that all seems to be fine.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem?
Hanks Transit

Re: Sink water pump issue

Postby Gravity » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:40 pm

Is it the impeller spinning that you can hear, or just the pump motor turning?
I have had a motor turning before now, but the impeller was not moving. Tiny bit of muck stopped it.
I have a 100 litre inboard tank, with a pump in the pipeline, so that it's easily accessible if it packs up.
Firs time it packed up, I smirked, thinking how clever I was - until I realised I'd have to siphon out the whole tank because I forgot to put a shut-off tap in the line before the pump!
2012 Mk 7 2.2
Gravity

Postby johnporter11 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:53 pm

As a matter of interest, what is your pump feeding?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hanks Transit » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:47 am

Gravity wrote:Is it the impeller spinning that you can hear, or just the pump motor turning?
I have had a motor turning before now, but the impeller was not moving. Tiny bit of muck stopped it.
I have a 100 litre inboard tank, with a pump in the pipeline, so that it's easily accessible if it packs up.
Firs time it packed up, I smirked, thinking how clever I was - until I realised I'd have to siphon out the whole tank because I forgot to put a shut-off tap in the line before the pump!

I can see the little impeller (the small fan like thing that is exposed to the water?) spinning when the tap is switched on - I just assumed this meant the whole pump was working, you suggest there's something else within the pump unit that may not be working?
Hanks Transit

Postby Hanks Transit » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:50 am

johnporter11 wrote:As a matter of interest, what is your pump feeding?

The pump is attached to about 1m length of pipe which is feeding a regular campervan tap with a microswitch - like this https://www.highpeakconversions.co.uk/shop/water-equipment/taps/ac539-chrome-plated-florenze-cold-water-tap/
Hanks Transit

Postby johnporter11 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:24 pm

I just asked because, if it's just feeding a tap, I recently fitted one of these to dispense drinking water from one of those big bottled water jars via a tube. Seems ideal for simple campervan application. The pump is inside the tap. Recharge via USB. Mine lasts about a week, depends on usage. The tap assembly comes off the stand and can be fitted directly to the water bottle. Works a treat. £22.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:25 pm

johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Hanks Transit wrote:
Gravity wrote:Is it the impeller spinning that you can hear, or just the pump motor turning?

I can see the little impeller (the small fan like thing that is exposed to the water?) spinning when the tap is switched on - I just assumed this meant the whole pump was working, you suggest there's something else within the pump unit that may not be working?

This might sound really daft, but I had a problem with mine, that you need to turn the tap fully on before the water will come out - the microswitch activates the pump, but the variable opening in the tap won't let any water through until the tap is almost fully open.
How stupid did I fell when I realised - after taking everything out and double checking everything!!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions