*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Can I fit VSR with AGM leisure battery?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Can I fit VSR with AGM leisure battery?

Postby ShellOtta » Sun May 15, 2022 11:40 am

Am reading lots of sites and some people say it's OK to have a voltage sensitive relay to charge an AGM leisure battery via the alternator. Others say the voltage from the van alternator would be too low and damage the battery.

Am looking at 12V Durite 140amp VSR to hook up to my 105ah AGM leisure battery (with a 200w solar panel) to my van starter battery. Currently have 1000w Renology pure sine wave inverter connected.
Spec for solar panel:
• Maximum Power Current (Ipm): 10.53A
• Maximum Power Voltage (Vpm): 19V

I have 110ah lead starter battery bought 2 years ago.

My van is T280 MWB 2010 mk7.

Any advice?
Complete Newbie - First conversion Ford Transit Mk 7 MWB (Moonbeam)
ShellOtta

Re: Can I fit VSR with AGM leisure battery?

Postby Jimmyneeskins » Sun May 15, 2022 12:06 pm

ShellOtta wrote:Am reading lots of sites and some people say it's OK to have a voltage sensitive relay to charge an AGM leisure battery via the alternator. Others say the voltage from the van alternator would be too low and damage the battery.

Am looking at 12V Durite 140amp VSR to hook up to my 105ah AGM leisure battery (with a 200w solar panel) to my van starter battery. Currently have 1000w Renology pure sine wave inverter connected.
Spec for solar panel:
• Maximum Power Current (Ipm): 10.53A
• Maximum Power Voltage (Vpm): 19V

I have 110ah lead starter battery bought 2 years ago.

My van is T280 MWB 2010 mk7.

Any advice?
Will be fine, you may find the agm battery will only charge to around 80/90% as they have a slightly higher charge voltage
For your solar panels make sure u get a mppt controller and not a cheep charge controller, as somtimes they can overcharge your battery
Epever do a mppt charge controller at a reasonable price

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk
Jimmyneeskins

Return to Camper vans and conversions