*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

camper gas bottle question/idea

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: camper gas bottle question/idea

Postby transerbia » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

I have a 75 liter gas bottle, and everything was supplied from it, engine, fridge, cooker, truma heater. Technically it works, but this is not a good solution, because if you run out of lpg, you drive on petrol, but you do not have a fridge, etc... on a long trip this means to throw away ice cream :mrgreen: So I added a 30 liter bottle only for fridge, cooker, heater. When you are traveling in Greece, for example, in the north of the country you have only one gas station, in Thessaloniki, so the solution with the 30 liter bottle is good, separated from the engine. I also think the solution with a car bottle under the chassis is safer then to have a bottle in the living space, if there is a leak during the night...
Truma equipment and electrolux fridges runs on same pressure as engine lpg systems.
ps. excuse again for my bad English...
transerbia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby The Docmeister » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 am

I was looking at an LPG conversion for the Pinto in our camper and wondered similarly if you could sling a tank underneath for the cooker/ fridge etc.
You can get tanks with take-offs for both. The engine LPG has to be liquid and so is drawn from the bottom of the tank, but as the liquid LPG is used up you get a greater and greater volume of LPG gas at the top of the tank. The tank obviously isn't vented, so the pressure drops as the liquid is used and more vapour is the result. The draw off for the propane/ butane appliances is therefore close to the top of the tank. LPG tanks are apparently never completely filled - there's always a vapour filled space at the top.
In reality this means one long pipe to near the bottom of the tank for liquid and a much shorter one at the top to catch vapour.
I have an email explaining it all much more clearly, but it's on another PC!
These are the guys who do the twin outlet tanks and looking at the website there seems to be a tank pretty much as required. Not sure about prices, but the twin tank was a lot less than you're quoting for refillable bottles.
http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/campers.html
The only downside that was pointed out to me was the fact that you would pay fuel duty on your living quarters gas. However, apparently BOC depots should be able to fill your specifically non engine fuel tank and take off the fuel duty if you can show that your tank is solely for "domestic" use.
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm

the idea appeals to me in that if i was to tour europe no matter where i was (within reason) i could fill up with gas, you can get LPG filler adapters that cover all countrys :D with my old camper i would always fit a new bottle before a long trip - and use the old one for the bbq at home :lol: i had a smaller spare bottle incase the big one run out but with my new camper i just dont have the space :)

i wouldn't even mind paying a bit more for the convenience of having a refillable bottle.

what is the difference in price? how many litres of LPG is 1KG, cant rememebr what i last payed for a cyl but its around £15 for 20KG isnt it :? and whats LPG about 50p a litre :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 am

propane cyls are 13kg and about £20 to refill :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Altransit » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:03 am

Luke wrote:propane cyls are 13kg and about £20 to refill :D

13kg of liquid in the bottle, makes around 25 litres of gas, and there is 5% VAT on the gas refills :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby pippin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Go to http://www.motorhomefacts.com and you will find a plethora of information on the subject.

In fact that site compliments this one perfectly for info on motorhomes.

Gaslow make refillable bottle systems - we have one and even with the fuel duty it is far cheaper to refill with Autogas than it is to exchange a Calor cylinder.

There is also the selfbuildmotorhomes site which is useful.
pippin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dachre » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:37 pm

pippin wrote:Go to http://www.motorhomefacts.com and you will find a plethora of information on the subject.

In fact that site compliments this one perfectly for info on motorhomes.

Gaslow make refillable bottle systems - we have one and even with the fuel duty it is far cheaper to refill with Autogas than it is to exchange a Calor cylinder.

There is also the selfbuildmotorhomes site which is useful.

I just went to the so called MOTORHOME FACTS site and in order for me to get access to the part of the site with photos or any real info THEY WANT ME TO PAY A £10 SUBSCRIPTION..... :shock: .. :lol: ....

SBMC site is ok i :( f you can put up with the waffle..... dont like it tho...
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby The Docmeister » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 am

Found this link showing bulk tank fitted underneath:

http://www.vicfire.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Bulk%20LPG%20Tank%20
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:58 pm

that looks neat :D at least we know it can be done 8) - i'll have to have a measure up to see what space i have :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby pippin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:22 pm

A tenner subscription is worth every penny.

Making a mistake with a gas installation could cost you your life.

There are very strict regulations regarding LPG installations in motorhomes.

For example, as LPG is heavier than air every gas bottle enclosure must have a vent in the floor.
In fact our van has gas drop vents just about everywhere that gas could accumulate.
Last edited by pippin on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pippin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pippin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Transerbia wrote:

Truma equipment and electrolux fridges runs on same pressure as engine lpg systems.

I doubt that very much!

The modern standard for MH & Caravans is 30mB via a vapour regulator.

Engines run off direct liquid take-off.

Please do NOT accept advice unless you can get it from an expert.
pippin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:33 pm

i think he means same tank pressure - the fridge and heater will be run through a regulator :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby pippin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:47 pm

I take your point Luke, but it might not have been obvious to every reader.
pippin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dachre » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:37 am

pippin wrote:A tenner subscription is worth every penny.

Making a mistake with a gas installation could cost you your life.

There are very strict regulations regarding LPG installations in motorhomes.

A tenner to that site is a complete waste of money pal. Theres nothing on that site you cant get anywhere else for free.

What strict regulations are there in Lesuire vehicles?.... Who Regulates this?... no one.... When was the last time you broke the law by doing exactly what you want in a self build motorhome?....
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SteveDSD » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:14 pm

I for one am very careful when it comes to LPG, I've seen boats and motorhomes go up from settled gas in lockers and bilges, it's not a pretty sight, and your insurance can always question the install and stuff if the worst happens and you didn't clear the install with them first.

As has been said before, venting is required for safety. Installs of LPG may not be tightly regulated, but just looking out for your own, and your families safety is worth the time and effort of doing right and to the specs that the motorhome builders are given.
Last edited by SteveDSD on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 SWB 100-Campervan/Dayvan/Moneypit
Image See the van at http://www.fordtransit.org/forum/viewto ... 58&t=44950 Image
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions