*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

camper gas bottle question/idea

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: camper gas bottle question/idea

Postby dachre » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Your insurance company cannot question the build quality after a problem has happened if they did not require an approved leisure vehicle inspection before granting the insurance. It’s that simple.

Most insurance companies don’t ask for this.

If you insure a vehicle which runs on LPG the insurance company should ask for a fitting certificate issued by a professional LGP vehicle fitter. They always have with me and the LPG V8 Disco I use.
dachre
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dark legend » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:22 pm

I looked into this a year or so back, a company called tinleytech http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/ do a 45litre LPG tank with both takeoffs, they do diesel conversion (saves 25% on your diesel costs by injecting LPG)

Here is the email I got from their tech guy:
We have one type of tank that can provide liquid and vapour off take, it is currently only available in one size - 270mm x 884mm - 45ltr
The tank needs to be mounted either under the vehicle or in a sealed box/locker with appropriate venting as it is not possible to cove both off takes with a gas tight housing as with a standard tank.

We do not know of any regulators suitable for domestic supply which can accept liquid.
There is no problem with running the engine and domestic supply from one tank, if the tank above is not suitable, it is possible to use a standard automotive tank for the engine with a small slave (normally 6 or 10ltr) connected to it to provide the domestic supply.

Was £400 plus vat back then, which is why I decided not to bother.
dark legend
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 pm

say i was to get a vessel made up that had a outlet on the top - whats stops liquid from splashing up as the van is moving and getting drawn into the reg :?:

or would it not be a problem if it does :?

anyone any ideas :?:

i'm looking into this now as the more i add to my van the less space i have - even underneith it's tight but i may be able to fit one behind the rear axle infront of the spare wheel :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby The Docmeister » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:41 pm

I think part of the answer is that you shouldn't be running any gas appliances whilst on the move! :roll:
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:57 pm

The Docmeister wrote:I think part of the answer is that you shouldn't be running any gas appliances whilst on the move! :roll:

never knew that :| i just used to keep my fridge on gas most the time - it did have a 12v switch but i would mainly forget to select it :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:20 am

i got an LPG tank today - not the ideal size (too big) as its a twin tank but the price was right :lol:

after i'd took it off the van (mk6 transit) i noticed it has a socket on the top - which is blanked at the moment :) all being well i can use that :idea:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby ake » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Because a camper can be slept in it is classed as accomodation so it therefor falls under the gas safety and use regulations, which means that the entire installation should be carried out by a suitably qualified and Corgi (but soon to be Gas Safe) registered installer. I know this is unlikely to happen but I would reccomend that anyone building there own camper does at least get it inspected by a gas installer who has the LAV (leisure accomadation vehicle) Qualification. Caravans for hire either static or mobile have to be inspected and certificated annually. If you were to build your own camper and then lend it to your freind or brother and a gas related incident occured YOU would be prosecuted. Remember no one can see or hear Carbon Monoxide.

Sorry for such a depressing post but this is important :(
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:19 pm

surely thats the same if you fit a cylinder or a tank :?:

and has anyone on here got the LAV Qualification :?: :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby The Docmeister » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:54 pm

So Luke, is that two tanks on one cradle or one big split type tank for engine /leisure use? If it's the split type then I'd be very interested to know what spec MK6 it came from.
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:19 pm

they are off a mk6 swb LPG 2.0 DOHC

they are 2 tanks but welded together with pipe so you'd not split them - it'd be ideal for me if i could :(

looked at the take off today and one thing that concerns me is its on the top of the smaller tank - which is lower down :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby ake » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Luke wrote:surely thats the same if you fit a cylinder or a tank :?:

and has anyone on here got the LAV Qualification :?: :D

I have got the LAV qualification and am more than willing to offer advice where possible Luke and you are right it doesn't matter whether you fit a cylinder or a refillable tank
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions