*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Preparing for day van / camper conversion.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Preparing for day van / camper conversion.

Postby MTBjamie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi all, if you've read my welcome post you'll know the score otherwise, i have just got a mk6 Transit which is pristine really and i want to keep it that way. I intend to rust proof the underside of the van with the black tar like paint you can get from Halfords, underbody sealant or something like that.
The first stage of my camper conversion though will be to insulate the sides and the roof of the van, whats the best way to do this to avoid condensation on the sides and roof of the van (which will obviously lead to rust)? I also want to coat the floor in some sort of rust proof sealant, whats best to use there?
Hope thats not too many questions for a second post... thanks in advance anyway :D
MTBjamie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Preparing for day van / camper conversion.

Postby ablaze79 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi, I converted a transit several years ago.. I lined the panels with ordinary loft insulation, then plylined.
For the roof I lined with loft insulation, then covered with 6ft x 4ft x apprx 5mm thick, white, vinyl, fire retardant panels. I bought the panels from my local sign makers.
The vinyl not only reflects light, but is also easy to wipe clean.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MTBjamie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, the loft insulation / rock wool was my original plan but Im sure I've read somewhere about this causing condensation to build up on the inside panels of the van? It will be being used to sleep in for days at a time so i dont want to end up with pools of water on the floor of my van. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?
MTBjamie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby AlanN » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:14 am

This is one of the best threads on here for a camper and personally the best way to insulate the van.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28854
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby MTBjamie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for showing me that topic, extremely helpful! Looks like a trip to the DIY store this afternoon then :D
MTBjamie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Camper vans and conversions