*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wood for furniture

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Wood for furniture

Postby zaphod79 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 pm

What can I make my new van furniture from, I used ply wood then covered it in tounge and groove for my last van, but it absorbed moisture, and warped, and was really heavy.

I am also looking to have a shower in my new van, any ideas and what wood I can use for the surround of this?

Thinking to use ply to line the van with, unless someone can come with a better idea?

Will post my floor plan, and progress asap, but am waiting to get my proper internet up and running, as Im only using a anywhere stick!
Ford Transit 2.4 TD 00(X) LWB med roof 350

See my camper van progress so far viewtopic.php?f=58&t=45397&p=404672#p404672
zaphod79
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Wood for furniture

Postby BigNeil » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 pm

ask John Pinto he is giving it all away !!
BigNeil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jolly olly » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Hello zaphod79 you could use a marine ply and varnish it or ply and glue laminate onto it but this is not recommended if your diy skill are not up to scratch as you need to be quick and accurate as you only get one go at it unless you are able to take the panels out and work with them on the flat, this is not a cheap option or you could look out for the panels that are pre made for shower enclosures but sit down before you get the price
Life is not a dress rehearsal
jolly olly
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sidspop » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 pm

One thing I may be tempted to use is plastic soffit board. Looks like planks, but is 300mm wide with a tongue and groove.If you were to put it horizontally, it would be nearly self sealing, although silicon squirted into the joints would seal it. Needs to be pinned onto a backing board of 12mm ply, varnished. Best of it is that at a trade suppliers of upvc goods, round here it is a fiver plus vat for a 5 mtr length. Done my bath panel with it, easy clean, waterproof, cheap.
sidspop
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Location: The Black Country (near to Brummagem, but not the same)

Return to Camper vans and conversions