*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

not the best car alarm for a camper

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

not the best car alarm for a camper

Postby frank133 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi I thought I would add a alarm to improve the security of my mk 3,
I just needed something to make a noise if the doors were opened.But being me I bought one with shock detector ,microwave,loads of functions,ie central locking and window closing code learning,I haven't got these features but might want to add them in the future,
Now this alarm is so clever that in the disarm state,you open your door to get out ,it flashes the indicators to warn other traffic your door is open.Great if you are dropping the kids off at school,but sitting in a campsite with the van doors open and four way flashes going not cool.
I already have a uprated steering wheel clamp,a separate fuel shut off and a dead man battery isolator,
I had a few problems fitting this alarm,it is full earth return to the second leisure battery,the van battery is totally isolated when the red key is removed so couldn't use that one.
I think I made a rod for my own back ,when I isolated the main battery,
All new door switches had to be fitted and earthed back to the leisure battery,
I now have to put a switch in to cut the power to the alarm when I need the doors open for a bit,
If I drop dead no,one is going to be able to start this van,
The sequence is red key turn on,padlock key [for steering lock ]on key ring,orange light on dash must be on,[fuel pump]
key fob press twice.I think thats about it, :roll:
frank133
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: not the best car alarm for a camper

Postby PXR5 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:26 am

I thought I was paranoid with a Stoplock and Clutchclaw in the cab and a seperate 110db alarm in the load area, (considered a wheel clamp when saw one reduced in price but thought I'd forget to take it off) where are you parking - Somalia?
PXR5
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 am

The thing is if they want it they will take it no matter what you do to it :evil:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby nakedmedic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Sounds like you've had a bit of a challenge fitting this alarm - its a real shame we need to go to these lengths to protect our property.

I know its too late now, but the problem of a battery master switch isolating EVERYTHING is a common irritation - it can usually be overcome by bypassing it with a very low rated fused wire (say 3 Amps). This will allow sufficient current only for your 'essential' items which require constant supply even when the main switch is off. This includes anything requiring power for a memory eg radio.

All you need to do is wire a small cable containing a low rated fuse across the isolator terminals. This is safe practice as it will blow instantly in the event of any unsafe situation such as a short, or if someone attempts to start the motor, and will become irrelevant when the isolator is in the 'on' position. The fuse rating should be kept as low as possible to suit your needs, but would obviously need to take account of the total current drawn when alarm is activated.

Hope you enjoy some great hols in your home on wheels...
Marty
nakedmedic
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

one of the best ones i ever saw involved a bloody loud horn in the cab, a hidden switch to turn it off, and a feed from the ignition which set the horn off if you forgot to cut the feed before you turned the ignition on
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby frank133 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks guys,I think I have got it sorted,good one about the the fused supply to the clock,
What I have done is put a switch in line with the door switches,so I can leave the door open without the flashes going all the time by flicking the switch off,
:oops: It would appear to have this function on the alarm fob so my son says,
why have four buttons on a alarm fob,talk about over engineered.[I only want to turn it off and on]not press this for two seconds ,anti hijack,sleep ,recode,this fob has ten functions,I might use two of them.
The led is a pretty blue ,it matched the one on my car.If you look out my front window at night ,it looks like a police raid :|
frank133
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby frank133 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 pm

This is my adapted wheel lock,you will need a angel grinder to remove it,even bolt cutters cant get to the padlock,

Hi pxr5 not parking in Somalia, just a small northen fishing village twinned with Samalia,named Liverpool.lol

The plate across the wheel is to stop the them getting to the nut, removing the wheel,and just putting there own one on,
frank133
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions