*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gas an Leccy Questions

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Gas an Leccy Questions

Postby PhilSweeney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Got a 3 way fridge, fires up on gas, never ran one before. How safe are they ? Would you leave one on overnight and sleep in the van ? There are vents in the side of the van but it's not completely sealed, ie there are gaps arounf the fridge where is slots in te unit. What if the flame goes out ? i know I need a Carbon monoxide alarrn and fire alarm, just a bit hesitant to leave it on whilst sleeping in the van, which kind of defeats the object ?

240V, decided to use a camping RCD and 3 socket unit for ease. Am I correct that at the inlet, there needs to be another earth from chassis to earth terminal to earth the whole van in case of a short ? I want to locate the RCD in the garage area of my van and then run sockets to the living area, however I still want to be able to isolate all sockets from the living area of the van. Can I splice some sort of switch or circuit breaker located in living area in between the inlet and the RCD located in the garage area to isolate the supply, if so what rating does this need to be ?
PhilSweeney
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Gas an Leccy Questions

Postby jolly olly » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:12 pm

As for the electrics you should be fine putting in a switch in your living area, say a cooker switch so its more than capable of the job and fitted with the LED so a quick glance on you no its on.
Life is not a dress rehearsal
jolly olly
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:33 am

The fridge should have a Flame supervision device which will isolate the gas supply if the flame goes out. I would reccomend you get it serviced and inspected by a gas safe registered engineer with the relevant qualifications, then if allis well once you have your alarms you can use it while you sleep

As for the switch to isolate the sockets A double pole switch with a rating the same (or higher) as the Circuit breaker for the socket circuit will do the job fine, if you have a 16 ampbreaker then you could use a 20 amp dp switch like a water heater switch
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby PhilSweeney » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 am

thanks I'll get the gas checked out. I know nothing about these frodges but did have a look at it yesterday. There is a metal pipe routed to the side vent so I assume this is the flew (sp?) for the spent gases. is there any alarm available to detect a gas leak ?

On the leccy, 20AMP switch should do it, started on this at the weekend. I have fitted an extra earth wire from the 240inlet to the van chassis to ground the whole van, is this correct ?
PhilSweeney
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:55 pm

PhilSweeney wrote:thanks I'll get the gas checked out. I know nothing about these frodges but did have a look at it yesterday. There is a metal pipe routed to the side vent so I assume this is the flew (sp?) for the spent gases. is there any alarm available to detect a gas leak ?

On the leccy, 20AMP switch should do it, started on this at the weekend. I have fitted an extra earth wire from the 240inlet to the van chassis to ground the whole van, is this correct ?

Alarms are available but they are expensive, as long as it is installed and setup correctly and have a Carbon monoxide alarm you shouldn't need it

Yes the earth to the frame is correct
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby barabas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 pm

ake wrote:
PhilSweeney wrote:thanks I'll get the gas checked out. I know nothing about these frodges but did have a look at it yesterday. There is a metal pipe routed to the side vent so I assume this is the flew (sp?) for the spent gases. is there any alarm available to detect a gas leak ?

Alarms are available but they are expensive, as long as it is installed and setup correctly and have a Carbon monoxide alarm you shouldn't need it

Yes the earth to the frame is correct

Yes, a CO alarm is the essential one - your nose is as sensitive for leaking gas as any detector, unburnt gas is harmless (unless it explodes :lol: )
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
barabas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Camper vans and conversions