*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Adding Crew Seats

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Adding Crew Seats

Postby ianrunci » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 am

I recently bought a bench seat from a Mercedez Sprinter (three seat configuration) virtually new with seat belts etc.
I thought it would be simple to get them fitted and that would be the end of that. However, it seems to have turned into some sort of nightmare.

I can't find a company that will fit them and provide a certificate of conformity which they all asure me I need unless I have their own seats fitted.

Secondly E-Van who provide my insurance are now saying they can't insure me if I have them fitted as they won't insure vans with more than 5 seats (even though it states on their website "they will not insure vehicles with more than 6 seats")

So guys I am hoping someone out there can help me with any of the following:

1. Somewhere I can get the seats fitted (North west as I'm in Manchester)
2. Do I really need that certificate of conformity?
3. Do you know of an insurance company that will insure a van with 6 seats?

I forgot to point out I only use my van for myself and my family so its on personal and not commercial insurance.

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone could give me

Ian
ianrunci

Re: Adding Crew Seats

Postby dingdangdo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I think the insurance company are up their own basksides over the number of seats, how would the cope with minibuses???? I would have thought most company's would insure it as long as the dvla was ok over it.

I can't find a company that will fit them and provide a certificate of conformity which they all asure me I need unless I have their own seats fitted.
my reply to them would be 'yeah what ever', so if you went to say company Y with company X's seat that conforms to all regulations they wouldn't fit them, their just out to con everyone, makes me sick how they treat people like retards. there's nothing to stop you making your own seats from tubing, put a seat on the top and bolt it in, as long as it's safe and secured to the vehicle and fit for use.
the next one that tells you "they only provide a certificate of conformity as long as you have their own seats fitted" ask them for proof of which vosa regulation that comes under, the bloke I used to work for built custom taxi and minibus interiors and he never had to work to anything like that.

PROPPA.com these guys do this for a living(along with other things, and even they say
They can be fitted your self but we heavily recommend you have them fitted professionally as if they are not tested properly your passengers may not be insured

the only thing you have to deal with would be the insurance :wink:

rant over :lol: :lol: :lol:
dingdangdo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Camper vans and conversions