*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

electircs?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

electircs?

Postby camperkev » Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 pm

right guys first question

in my van i want to run a TV (240) and a electric heater (240 volts) for campsite hook up
will the fuses blow running both at the same time on a "standard" campsite hook up?

and will the van electrics take it??

cheers
camperkev

Re: electircs?

Postby camperkev » Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORTABLE-QUARTZ-E ... 1|294%3A50

that was the heater i was looking at.....

would it be powerful enuff too to keep the van nice and warm
camperkev

Postby nakedmedic » Fri May 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Yes Kev, that heater should be fine. Even if the voltage dropped to 200V - using Ohm's Law VxI=W (where I is the current in Amperes) the heater you are looking at will only pull about 4 Amps.

I'm no expert on campsite standards but I woud imagine all their hook ups should be rated for 15 Amps. Your TV if it is a CRT (old fashioned tube) type will only pull 2 or 3 Amps at most - If its an LCD flat screen modern type then much less.

As to if you your van's wiring will be up to it - depends who installed it! But seriously, if you can use a standard mains kettle (not a mini camping one) in your van then you will have plenty of capacity - a kettle can sink three times the current of your 800 Watt heater. Any respectable mobile installation should be capable of this. Look at the circuit breakers in your consumer unit - possibly a 5A for lighting & a 10A for appliances on the (ring?) main.

Regards, Marty
nakedmedic
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Sat May 09, 2009 11:02 am

Depending on which site you are on, some let you pull the full 16 amps, but some restrict you to 10 :?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Camper vans and conversions