*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Frontier Campervan

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Frontier Campervan

Postby ake » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Bridgebuster wrote:Could you advise me on the best size leisure battery for the frontier, there are so many diff ones and our local caravan shop will prob try and sell me the most expensive one :), many thanks .

The advice for leisure batteries is simple, by the biggest one that you can fit in the space and can afford!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby pelmetman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Bridgebuster wrote:Had my battery's checked and my leisure battery wasn't the best so the previous owner must have wired everything up to the vehicle battery, will change the leisure battery and move the wires back like you said and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the advice

Beware the fridge is wired to the engine battery ..........as its mean't to run it on 12 volts whilst traveling :wink: ......Plus he might of added other stuff, like a car phone( Yes I'm old enough to had that done to my camper :lol: ) so I'd be inclined just to replace the leisure battery before I started swapping wires :? ........

Remember these? :mrgreen: ......

DSCN2067web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOWIE Transit club member .......

Fanny a 99 LWB Semi high roof MK 5......Essex V6 auto
Horace a 90 SWB Ford Travelhome MK 3....2.5 diesel manual
pelmetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ColinJack » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:04 pm

ake wrote:The advice for leisure batteries is simple, by the biggest one that you can fit in the space and can afford!
Agree absolutely - our van has 4 x 125Ah batteries - two cranking and two leisure. The two leisure batteries are hooked up via a split charge relay so they only charge when the cracking batteries are fully charged. Fridge has a detector wire so it only comes on when the alternator is charging.
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
1980 Mk2 Holdsworth Camper
I don't regret growing old - it is a privilege denied to many.
The Journey is the Reward. (Chinese Proverb)
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby pelmetman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 pm

ColinJack wrote:
ake wrote:The advice for leisure batteries is simple, by the biggest one that you can fit in the space and can afford!
Agree absolutely - our van has 4 x 125Ah batteries - two cranking and two leisure. The two leisure batteries are hooked up via a split charge relay so they only charge when the cracking batteries are fully charged. Fridge has a detector wire so it only comes on when the alternator is charging.

Blimey :shock: .........You must spend most of your time off grid :wink: ......

pelmetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ColinJack » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 pm

pelmetman wrote:
ColinJack wrote:

Blimey :shock: .........You must spend most of your time off grid :wink: ......
Wild Camping!! :wink:
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby pelmetman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:47 pm

ColinJack wrote:

We rarely do wild.......Just the odd bit of annoying on CC sites :lol: .........

But mostly head across the ditch 8) ..........

pelmetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ColinJack » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:55 pm

pelmetman wrote:
ColinJack wrote:

We rarely do wild.......Just the odd bit of annoying on CC sites :lol: .........

You should try a bit of wilding, especially in Europe! :lol:
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby pelmetman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:38 am

ColinJack wrote:
pelmetman wrote:

You should try a bit of wilding, especially in Europe! :lol:

Probably going full timing for while soon..... so free camping will be a bonus :mrgreen:.....

pelmetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bridgebuster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Had it checked, the fridge is wired to the main vehicle battery along with the alarm, the 12 volt lighting system has been moved to the main battery as the leisure battery was goosed, it was actually just an old car battery they had stuck in so just need a new leisure battery and then move then lighting wires back, both systems are working and charging ok so all is good. Also got the fridge out,cleaned up and is back in and working good again, the upside down trick worked a treat, thanks again for all the help and advice im'e sure I will be back for more soon :D
Bridgebuster
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kedishen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:46 pm

You should split charge the fridge from the leisure battery as well as have split charging between engine and leisure battery otherwise one day u will flatten your engine battery - in the event of a broken split charging relay for instance.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ColinJack » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Kedishen wrote:You should split charge the fridge from the leisure battery as well as have split charging between engine and leisure battery otherwise one day u will flatten your engine battery - in the event of a broken split charging relay for instance.
Absolutely essential - fit a couple of these (or similar) or you may be parked up longer than expected. :lol:

Universal Self Switching Split Charge Relay 12v Towbar Electrics / Wiring TEC3M http://r.ebay.com/n0DYQT
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby jarrageo » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:27 pm

astrowitchee wrote:Can anyone tell me where is the waste water outlet?
Used the van last week but can even see a waste tank, it say in the manual its adjacent to the rear step......we dont have a rear step but cant see anything under the rear door..... :(

Hi, My waste water tank and tap is on the drivers side about midway under the body, mine is a 1989 frontier....regards george
jarrageo

Postby jarrageo » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:10 am

Hi, I have a 1989 Ford Frontier Campervan, Its all original with the 2.0 litre Pinto petrol engine, it has 52000 miles from new and the original VV Carb....Talking to old school people im constantly being told to change for a weber.....im fine with how she runs although tick over can be a bit erratic at times....any thoughts please....thanks george
jarrageo

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions