*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Projectzip's Race Support Vehicle / Camper "Bertha"

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Projectzip's Race Support Vehicle / Camper "Bertha"

Postby projectzip » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey Gang
Joe here, you may have seen me asking lots of questions in the mk5 section well now I have my very own smiley face.
So ill be asking even more now muhahahahaha :twisted:
Here she is

I am a race engineer for my mates Mk1 MR2 Race Car
So I need something to sleep in and carry around some spare wheels, tools etc on race weekends.
After alot of searcing I came across M3 Y RT's Mk6 Camper Race support vehicle it was exactly the kind off thing im looking to do.
Here it is.

Now we just raced at Mallory Park and my missus came along after a very cold night in the Tent she decreed that no more would she sleep in tents and promptly handed me a large wad of cash from her savings and told me to get a van sorted. (How cool is my missus, shes also a huge motorsport nut!)

So I have made a basic layout plan
The bed will be raised up so there is storage underneath for carrying all the things we need.
I also plan to do a single passenger seat swivel conversion so we have somewhere to sit.
We know with it being a mid top we cant stand up in it but its really just for cooking and sleeping in.

Now all I have to do is tax the van as ive just had it insured and get it back to our workshop and start the conversion.
So join me on my Journey :wink:
Last edited by projectzip on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Race Support Vehicle / Camper Project www.exit13.biz one off graphics to full race car livery's.
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Projectzip's Race Support Vehicle

Postby matthew2riches » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 am

Go for it! Have some fun :D
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby projectzip » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 am

Picked her up last night have called her Bertha already!
The missus isn't too keen on the name so it may change but I think she will come around.
Really pleased with the way it drives I was very surprised how light and nimble it is around town Ive even driven it to work today :lol:

The dreaded tin worm is in the arches but not to bad so whilst we have an mot and the sun is shining we shall use her.
The next race meeting is May 30th so hope to have some insulation in it for then. But i have to also bash all the damage out of our race car from Mallory park!

Found the SLD door seal is buggered so if anyone has one going begging I would take it off there hands.

Need to give it a good clean this weekend and find myself a spare wheel.

Dash is a bit rattly so will also look at that eventually too.
I don't plan on going overboard with the conversion and fiddly bits until we are satisfied she will last us for a while yet.
My Race Support Vehicle / Camper Project www.exit13.biz one off graphics to full race car livery's.
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby projectzip » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:39 pm

So first sunday of ownership, wat to do first!
Had a good look over her today here is the SLD seal and you can see the little rust spots on the inner step.
I have my eye on a bumper on ebay to replace the slightly bendy one currently in place!
Found this little darling hiding under some gaffa tape!
Meanwhile Kerry got busy cleaning the dashboard and hoovered out the cab.
Ok lets rip out all the carpet in the back as its filthy!
All the carpet gone and taken to the tip!
Dotted line is where I will remove the bulkhead.
This is because I want to do a single seat conversion and ease access.
Wood floor will be used as a template as the stuff thats in there is a little bit broken in places.
Its also been screwed straight into the floor so I wll remove all those oles and use grip fill etc to hold the new flooring in place.
Heres the lovely hole in the floor im wondering if it has any relavance to the hole in the side due to them both being on the same side.
The other load eyelet showing signs of rust but I cant see any sign of it underneath.
My lovely GF Kerry Hoovering away (Kezbabybabe)
Steering wheel is a little bit worn so I will look for one at the scrappers on Tuesday.
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kezbabybabe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 pm

As I won't be able to see the progress all the time (being that I'm in Swindon), I'd best subscribe to the thread instead. :lol:

Had good fun cleaning Bertha out on Sunday, finding the nooks and crannies...
kezbabybabe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby projectzip » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm

So its Tuesday which is my day off from work!
Thought id take a visit to B&Q for some insulation.
And got busy with the circular saw and chopped the bulkhead down.
Also found out the hole at the rear does go a little further then I thought so I will need a new rear hanger piece before the next MOT. Are these are the same as the SWB? for a 98 plate as the LWB rear spring hangers only are dated 85-94 on most sites.

Last edited by projectzip on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nadjenka » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Get your welder out :!: Looks like you're going to have loads of fun with the tin worm, but fear NOT :!: :twisted: :twisted: You treat Bertha to some TLC and she'll take you anywhere you want then :wink:

Are you lifting the ply from the floor? I think you might find few surprises there too. :shock: Worth checking if you plan keeping her for longer. Keep at it, it will be worth it at the end :wink:
1995 Mk5 150 LWB Minibus - camper-to-be - Lola's story :mrgreen:
1999 Mk5 190 LWB 2.5TDi, automatic, story has started :twisted:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby projectzip » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm

yeah floors getting replaced I know of a couple of small places which are towards the back need attention.
However so far from peaking under she is pretty solid although in between the runs shes full of dust and dirt OH JOY!
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby projectzip » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Well a grand night of running around puting the van to work tonight resulted in nothing getting done inside.
As when I got home it was to dark to do anything so I got creative with the vinyl cutter.
New Badges for the rear door Old Skool Baby! :lol:
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby projectzip » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Wooohoooo new rear arches arrived!
Time for some chiropody and remove those fallen arches. :lol:
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby matthew2riches » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm

projectzip wrote:Wooohoooo new rear arches arrived!
Time for some chiropody and remove those fallen arches. :lol:

Would love to see some images of you doing your arches... am going to try and do mine but not 100% sure on the process.

Cheers!
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby projectzip » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm

In all honesty Matt I haven't got a clue when it comes to welding!
I was looking at Nada's Lola bus and she managed the job with very knowledge when she started so there's hope for me yet!

With the Race Car, I look after the engine and keep the driver sane, look over the race tactics and pretty much do every thing but wipe his bum!
But when it comes to choppy grindy cutty weldy weldy thats his job! :lol:
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nadjenka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 pm

:oops: :oops: Well I knew nothing about how it SHOULD be done (and I still don't tbh)... I had to change both of my arches and done each of them in different way. The first one I cut just above the curve, cut the replacement panel smaller too and put it behind the original panel on the van. I found it quite easy because it did fit nicely, but my welding was rubbish and it proved to be great PITA to grind the welds nicely and have it flush and smooth. It still doesn't look as I would like it to... :evil: :lol:

Second arch I tried cutting out completely to full shape of the replacement panel. Then I used joddler to create a lip on vans body panel and put the new arch over the body panels on Lola. This was more time consuming and exhausting in my opinion, BUT it did give me better access to the inner arch and bits behind it and also proved easier for grinding the welds and filler. Yet - I'm still not happy with it because you can see it was re-done and it's not as smooth as I would like it (again :evil: ) :roll:

The image shows the outer line for the replacement panel before I grinded the paint off and before the joddler was used. After these two tasks I didn;t have enough strenght in my hand to hold the camera :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: Having said that - if I was to do it again, I would do it like the second arch - cut out the whole thing. But it might be just me :oops: I'm sure there is many others who can do it easier and with better results tho... Keep us posted projectzip :wink:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby projectzip » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Will do Nada, Do you think I will have to take the door rail off to do the passenger side or can it be worked around or is it not even close?
projectzip
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nadjenka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:22 pm

I don't think it's that close :wink: You can always cut the new panel shorter, just straight line on the top, so you don't have to do the bend there. Forgot to say that you can drill little holes into the edge of new panel (or use that joddler puncher bit) and spot weld the new panel, rather than seam weld. I think I've seen someone here do it, I'll look for the pictures when I get a chance, it looked way easier than what I did... :lol:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions