*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

The need /no need for conversion registration

Postby northernlad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi all, I read this thread and don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the posts here. We convert campervans for a living and very rarely we have them changed on the log book, it is not a legal requirement, 9 out of 10 of our vans go out with "PANEL VAN" on the log book and our customers who insure through the Caravan Club, Adrian Flux and Safegaurd do not have an issue with this. We work closely with other camper van builders such as Elite, Hillside, Denby, Tribute, and IH, who also do not bother unless requested to change the type of Motor vehicle to "MOTOR CARAVAN", we also sell brand new Motorhomes and Factory built campervans from Rimor and Tribute (which are over £40,000) and many simply have Panel Van or Chassis Cab in the log book. In fact we recently had some Sprinter vans which said "Car" and even one that stated it was a limousine - even though it had a tipper body on it? Personally I wouldn't loose too much sleep or energy over this, as long as your insurer accepts your conversion you have the job covered. DVLA are kicking out a lot of converted vans as they now have a "Visual Acceptability Test", which basically means that if if it doesn't look like a campervan it is classed as a Window Van. So maybe it ie better to get a decent understanding insurer than mess about with the dinasours at DVLA!
northernlad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: The need /no need for conversion registration

Postby SteveDSD » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:00 pm

northernlad wrote:Personally I wouldn't loose too much sleep or energy over this, as long as your insurer accepts your conversion you have the job covered. DVLA are kicking out a lot of converted vans as they now have a "Visual Acceptability Test", which basically means that if if it doesn't look like a campervan it is classed as a Window Van. So maybe it ie better to get a decent understanding insurer than mess about with the dinasours at DVLA!

I believe the DVLA have now removed the Visual Acceptability Test, and returned to the old requirements.

I'd want to get it in writing from my insurance company that having the log book say panel van was OK, as insurance companies will do anything to get out of a claim, and unless it's in writing you have no way to prove you told them.

I know a lot of professional and factory built conversions don't change the log book, but I'd just be happier having the correct paperwork in place for a self-build, just because it's a more unusual situation than a factory build.
2000 SWB 100-Campervan/Dayvan/Moneypit
Image See the van at http://www.fordtransit.org/forum/viewto ... 58&t=44950 Image
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby mrswummin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:57 pm

It was my insurance that wanted the log book changed
I'd not had any problem up until this year so it was a bit of a bombshell
I did try phoning other insurers but when I was honest and said it was registered as a panel van not campervan they didn't want to know.

I agree with SteveDSD
I'd want to get it in writing from my insurance company that having the log book say panel van was OK, as insurance companies will do anything to get out of a claim, and unless it's in writing you have no way to prove you told them.
mrswummin

Postby btvanowner » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 pm

A mate of mine has sent me this,apparently from dvla its on his forum (vw campers)either looks like or doesnt
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M ... Advice.pdf
ACCIDENTS ARE NOT FUNNY UNLESS ITS SOMEONE ELSE.....THEN ITS HILARIOUS
btvanowner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tranzite » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 am

If you get this problem with the div-las, I think maybe all you need to do is buy some motorhome styling transfers, the wavey lines or palm trees or animals stuff etc according to taste! there are plenty for sale online. They're fairly cheap. Thats probably all it means, to meet completion of the external visual transformation. Perhaps roofvents like Fiamma or Remis, caravan style, not spinning vent style, are acceptable external viz transformation?, not a criteria when I went though. Styling stickers could do it, take em off after if u don't like them!
It's crazy they can't just tell you that, like you just have to guess and keep at it until one day bingo!
I got reregistered 2 years ago, (with no styling stickers) - seems to depend where u go as to how strict they are, but a toilet can be a portapotty with chemicals, kept in a cupboard, just for the day at the divla. I've a fixed 2 ring gas hob, fixed fridge ( not part of the criteria), fixed bed/ settle, sink but no taps, no fixed water storage but 3 x 5L water carriers ( supermarket mineral water type) A wardrobe some say - but cupboards r ok, don't have to be as tall as a wardrobe. A fixed table can be a table that sits on a solid pole that has a permanent mounting hole in the floor. I just had a small folding table and it was an issue but they let me off! ( a Shropshire town )
Getting insured for a campervan can be a minefield. Admitting to having a woodburner stove will be v hard to get round. So is admitting to living in it full time, or using it for commuting. I can't remember the forum name but I'll post later, has lots of very useful campervan info on insuring and everything else .
CCC do excellent cover, inc commuting to 1 place, contents cover, key cover, eurobreakdown cover, and insured in Europe, plus continue your Ncb accrual. My renewal was about the same as previous year, bit less. Many do away with ncb accumulation.
Pearl gray '98 DIY camper 2.5 nana DI 190 LWB/HI, EGR mod, split charge, Fiamma vents, insulated, DIY dub glazed, Ebersplashout D2 + D5W, Sonichi DAB remote audio, SafeTbar, pen holder rubber insert! now also with cup holder (in trophy cab!)
tranzite
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MARTINWF5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, so my question is as follows

I need 7 seats, but only need internal 3 berth, as the other 4 would use awning/tents, would i have any problem registering a minibus to motorhome/camper and i can use the rear mini bus seats as seating with a table inbetween if i can fix them down face to face?

Regards

Martin
MARTINWF5

Postby dodgetotransit » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 am

iv just had mine registered as motor caravan and took in some pics of the thing i made, i have no paint on the side of the van and the back is made from truck trailer roof grp and looks as ruff as a dogs ass, but she let it go as a motor caravan, personally it looks more like a horse box conversion, trust me it' s not, i did read the list of stuff needed at the beginning of the thread , if you wish that list to read so much simpler just ring dvla or go to the local office, and ask for this list as they do have print outs of what they wish from you, its short and sweet and simple to read, basically its got to be bolted screwed or riveted to the van , that being the items you put in side it. i did have the list but have lost it some time ago sorry.
i think it went like this
seat must be bolted riveted or screwed to the van

table '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' ''

bed '' '' '' '' '' '' '' ' '' unless it's a seet that converts to a bed but again it must be bolted or, (you get my drift)

cooker unit with sink '' '' '' ' ''

dont know about the loo/room
and must have a wardrobe as well '' '' ''

i cant remember any thing more, as far as i can remember that list defines it as a motor caravan.
last time i looked at it two years ago but you no dvla they change there minds more often.
my build has all this in and i had no problems what so ever and beleav me this lady hate me, as im always giving her a hard time whitch is not always a advised thing as they can make your life hell. so id say to smile at all times lol.
best of luck all
"I'd rather be vaguely right than precisely wrong."
my blog page, http://dodge2transit.wordpress.com/
dodgetotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kev sealby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:04 pm

Excellent info, thanks.
kev sealby
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby n8rbos » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 pm

as said in a previous post , insurers will do what they can to get out of paying insurance so you are better off changing logbook, its very simple to do.

first the van has to look like a 'motorcaravan' and not a commercial van.
you need one side window
a side door or rear door access
fixed cooking appliance - this can be a 2burner/grill camping cooker fitted down
a water container- a 25litre will suffice
a bed no less than 6' fixed - can be rock and roll
a table in the seating area-can be fixed or removed and stowed away
a cupboard or storage space

so long as you can show this the van dosen't need to be finished, take loads of photos inside and out with your numberplate in the pic. send off to dvla for change of classification. i too build vans, albeit not on a professional basis ,but have not once yet had a reclassification refused following those simple instructions.

more insurers are now asking for gas certificates also, these cost @£70 for yearly checks, sureterm is excellent for insurance and 100% in the event of an accident, i can vouch for that.
n8rbos
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tranzite » Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm

MARTINWF5 wrote:Hi all, new to the forum, so my question is as follows

I need 7 seats, but only need internal 3 berth, as the other 4 would use awning/tents, would i have any problem registering a minibus to motorhome/camper and i can use the rear mini bus seats as seating with a table inbetween if i can fix them down face to face?

Regards

Martin

Yep u would have problems if you don't meet the basic criteria as listed in these last few posts, or your local diva is a nutter as some posters found, (Cornish, Dave8syl ) and it seems you'll have to do some seat removals to make space for the other basic criteria!
Pearl gray '98 DIY camper 2.5 nana DI 190 LWB/HI, EGR mod, split charge, Fiamma vents, insulated, DIY dub glazed, Ebersplashout D2 + D5W, Sonichi DAB remote audio, SafeTbar, pen holder rubber insert! now also with cup holder (in trophy cab!)
tranzite
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 pm

re northernlad post if your van is logbooked as a campervan then the speed limits are higher then a van ifso then it is better for that aloan plus i do not trust insurance companys as in the last post they do not like paying out
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby JulianP » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 am

Just brought this for £150 fits low roof 2000 on trannys .Im after a Smiley Touneo so would be too tall but top comes off will fit boxer I have at moment well i hope so picking it up Monday

JulianP
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby steviebee » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Just had mine registered as Motor caravan. It took 6 weeks and had to send pics of outside as well. Only have a vent/grill on the drivers side. They were happy with that. Interior has all that was asked, bed goes across back and is therefore not 6' long. I think I am now LEZ compliant as it is less than 2.5 tons in weight :D
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 67transit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi,just registered my van as motor caravan took a few pictures of outside and inside the van printed onto a sheet of A4 with a note on the bottom saying (find enclosed pictures of nearly completed campervan conversion).It took a about a week for logbook to come back now got motor caravan on it instead of panel van.
The funny thing is though it's taken me 5 years of divering having trouble with insurance doing all the conversion now its nearly finished i have decided to sell it.
67transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby johnsvan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm

steviebee wrote: I think I am now LEZ compliant as it is less than 2.5 tons in weight :D

If the MAM (maximum authorized mass) of your motor caravan is less than 2500Kg (i.e. 2499 or less) I think you are right. You can check on the LEZ website.

If your van simply weighs less than 2500kg but is plated higher, like my van is plated at 2900kg it will not be LEZ compliant.
The way around this is to get it re-plated at say 2495kg but I'm not exactly sure what is involved in doing this.

Of course, if you do get it re-plated then driving with a mass of over the new plated weight is illegal. Easy to do if you have full tanks, fully stocked cupboards and passengers.
Mk5 1999 2.5D 100L high roof
johnsvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Location: Ware, Herts. (10 Miles north of the M25 on the A10)

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions