*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby Mess man » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi all,

Just got a call from my mot station, told my transit 8 seater is class 7 and not 4 they can't do it, need to go elsewhere. Couple of questions,

1, is it really worth changing v5 to camper? I got a clarks conversion 8 seats, kitchen, microwave, running water, table, toilet and wash sink in the back. I'm with Adrian flux and happy with the premium (300 quid) mot guy said the vosa guys will get you if you don't switch??? Loads of checks to deal with if your pulled over.

2, Gonna use as a day van, don't want to sleep in it so any ideas on fitting a bed if I do convert. Not bothered about the extra mot cost or tax but don't want to deal with the tosa guy, sorry I mean vosa...?

3, I've searched and can only make out the difference with class 7 mot is tyres and brakes, which are good on my van, so can't see any more than a couple of hundred quid saving on the switch, don't mean that to sound ignorant but I'd rather not deal with deal with dvla any more than necessary. Also I think I'll have to fit a bed which I don't need.

Would appreciate any thoughts,

Cheers brad.
Mess man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dave8syl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:35 am

hi, all
where shall i start

having to surrender my licence due to eye probs
and my wife as just been issued a 3yr licence due to insulin which means she can not drive a mini bus

so will have to get it registered as a motor home, so mrs is legal to drive it

just looked at the log book and they have stated its a swb minibus, my old log bk def stated it was a lwb ! but cant find it
it was converted to lwb when new 1997 and has plates on side of step conversion/no 25308 etc

! so should i tell them its a lwb and where on the log bk, or just put motor home 5seats and send of with pictures

also found out while looking to see if there's any cheaper insurance, my insurance company only insure vans that have motor home registered on the log bk
would of been nice, if they bothered to tell me of their changes

dont think its going to be straight forward send pictures & log bk and get re/registered
dave8syl
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dave8syl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:55 pm

well got new log bk back stating its now a motor home, no photos returned as yet
dave8syl
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby matt86_wd2 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 pm

I have been reading this thread and is verry helpfull .

I have just bought a 52 plate 350 crewvan which has no seats . i intend to convert the middle area into campervan part and use the "garage" part on the back for storage . to hold things like awning , gas locker , fold away chairs , table and battery box .

But i want to keep as my daily vehicle so if need to carry tools and my own goods i can .

My question is would this be still be able to be classed as a motor caravan / camper ?

cheers , matt
matt86_wd2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tonylem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Got my V5 back today, changed to motor caravan :D :D
Only took a couple of weeks, and they even sent my photos back. Van hasn't got any graphics on, so they must be being a bit more relaxed about the external appearance at the moment. They were getting picky some time back and just changing them to van with windows, regardless of the interior.
Happy now though, job done :D
2008 Mk7 MWB 140 T280 High Roof
tonylem
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mick25 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Send plenty of photos, include plenty showing your reg number. I had mine reclassified to a motor caravan. But it still comes in as a light goods vehicle. For road tax purpose. Is that the same as everybody,who's done a conversion.
Mick25

Postby tonylem » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Mick25, yes the tax class stays the same. I think you can only change this when taxing at a post office. However if you changed it to a diesel car, because of the emissions from a van, the tax would be significantly higher. Probably in the £280 or £475 bands (K and L). So it's best left as a goods vehicle.
2008 Mk7 MWB 140 T280 High Roof
tonylem
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: inside outised job

Postby chegeredvan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:35 am

Am planing on dowing my van inside and out side :shock: but i dont know were to get all the parts :) like side window, side bars, bull bar and am inteding to fit alloys :P any infor on were i can pick this thing without breacking the bank :roll: :?: :?:
chegeredvan

Postby chegeredvan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:07 am

Thnx God for that I was in the middle of converting my van and all this was news to me :roll:
chegeredvan

Postby steviebee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:24 am

Got my logbook back on Thursday, my van is now officially a Motor Caravan :D . It took 4 weeks and 3 days from posting to return. I only changed the category in the logbook and sent lots of photo's (14). Did not send a covering letter. I still need to fit my curtains, but that did not make any difference. It's only a basic conversion, bed (side to side), cooker (3 ring hob and grill) on board water tank, cupboard unit and removable table. Still it does us. My Insurance is £267:97p a year fully comp, myself and wife to drive with 10K miles per annum and full UK and Continental breakdown cover. Did not think that was bad. When I changed the logbook on my Mk5 it took ages. again lots of pics. DVLA wrote back and asked to see pics of any windows. It was a minibus conversion and every picture had windows in them with curtains :roll: I think they were just being picky at the time. No trouble this time though.
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby FredTransit » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 pm

just to let you all know, the Post Office are now re classifying V5s from january due to DVLA office closures. Dunno if this is a good thing or a bad thing!
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby matt86_wd2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 am

how do you go about down the post office route ?

matt
matt86_wd2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FredTransit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm

I would have thought much the same as going the DVLA route with pics but you can do it over the counter at the PO. You are best to ask them. They will still have to get thw DVLA to post out the amended V5 but so would the DVLA.....
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby steviebee » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:37 pm

I wonder if they charge for this service like they do for passports???????
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby FredTransit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 pm

I dont think so, its cos the local DVLA offices have closed.
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions