*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby dumper » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:25 pm

My camper built on a 65 plate ex 17 seat 460 logbook as a camper is only £165 for the year my mk6 350 jumbo was £230 the last time I taxed it daft it is but ok for me
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pathfinder075 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 am

Guessing your 65 plate is on a PHGV classification. I'm currently converting my transit, but have to say I looked at some 4 ton Iveco Daily's on the XMLB and I could live with one of those. I might even get a hot tub in the back. :P
Pathfinder075
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:36 am

Yes m8 that’s it’s tax class I got it because a 350 that my last van was always overloaded and this is boss of the job
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dirtydog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:04 pm

The DVLA issued new guidelines this month for what is required to register your conversion as a motor caravan, it seems to be more focused on the external stuff. From reading the guidance what they want is something that easily recognisable as a camper van rather than just a van with windows.

Here's the important bits

Motor caravan external permanent features
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)
DVLA will need photographic evidence of the completed conversion.

Internally the guidelines are pretty similar to what they were previously except they state minimum of 1 hob ring

For a vehicle to be recognised as being converted to a motor caravan it must meet all 4 categories shown below. For DVLA to change the body type, the vehicle must have the external permanent features described in the DVLA guidance for converting a vehicle into a motor caravan.

Category 1: Seats and table (1 example for both)
The seats and table must have the following features:

they shall be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area, mounted independently of other items
a table mounting arrangement shall be secured as a permanent feature, although the table top may be detachable
permanently secured seating must be fixed to the floor or sidewall and available for use at the table
Category 2: Sleeping accommodation
The sleeping accommodation:

shall be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area
can be either beds, or beds converted from seats
must be secured as a permanent feature, either with the base structure of the vehicle floor or to the side wall, unless the sleeping accommodation is provided over the driver’s cab compartment
Category 3: Cooking facilities
Your conversion must have a minimum of a single ring cooking facility or microwave, which shall be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall as a permanent feature.

If the cooking facility is fuelled by an on-board gas supply:

the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure
If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply:

the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure
Category 4: Storage facilities
The storage facilities:

can be a cupboard or locker
form an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation, mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below the seat, sleeping accommodation or cooker
must be secured permanently to the vehicle floor or side wall except when the storage facility is over the driver’s cab compartment
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dirtydog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:13 pm

2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ajpmsport » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:29 am

It lists the internal in some detail, the exterior is not explained very well. Where it states a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle, a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body.

Could this mean windows in the rear side opening doors, ?
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cowboyhunter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 am

after finally finishing the conversion and phoning the dvla about what you need ie high roof they told us ours was fine it was to stop the smaller vans being converted we have a 15 seat mini bus, we sent the paper with all photos to the dvla by registerd post who have lost the lot,after some phone calls everything was now submitted by email, but dvla have now said that it does not qualify as its a medium roof even though we can stand up in it and does not have two windows on the side, the roof is a medium roof and the middle windows are blocked off clearly seen from the photos we sent so all that is left is one for the cooker then the rear opening window and on the other side the sliding door window and the rear opening window, they have said because it looks like one continuous window from the outside it does not count, so they have classed it as a van with windows now, so we don't know where this leaves us as to insure the camper
cowboyhunter

Postby colingo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:59 pm

cowboyhunter wrote:after finally finishing the conversion and phoning the dvla about what you need ie high roof they told us ours was fine it was to stop the smaller vans being converted we have a 15 seat mini bus, we sent the paper with all photos to the dvla by registerd post who have lost the lot,after some phone calls everything was now submitted by email, but dvla have now said that it does not qualify as its a medium roof even though we can stand up in it and does not have two windows on the side, the roof is a medium roof and the middle windows are blocked off clearly seen from the photos we sent so all that is left is one for the cooker then the rear opening window and on the other side the sliding door window and the rear opening window, they have said because it looks like one continuous window from the outside it does not count, so they have classed it as a van with windows now, so we don't know where this leaves us as to insure the camper

Hi, Mine is a MID height LWB MK6 and having read the requirements i think it would be a waste of time for me to apply. DVLA clearly mention High roof, I wonder how all these VW's espescially pop tops are going to get on. They dont mention external service doors and vents but do mention motor home graphics, which are all things i could do without. They do state that the Van must clearly look like a Mobile home. :(
colingo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cowboyhunter » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:27 pm

on the drivers side of the van are 3 vents for the fridge another for the heater and water intake a waste water outlet pipe then on the passenger side a toilet door, so if this does not look like a camper what else do dvla want.
cowboyhunter

Postby RustWidow » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:12 am

colingo wrote:
cowboyhunter wrote:after finally finishing the conversion and phoning the dvla about what you need ie high roof they told us ours was fine it was to stop the smaller vans being converted we have a 15 seat mini bus, we sent the paper with all photos to the dvla by registerd post who have lost the lot,after some phone calls everything was now submitted by email, but dvla have now said that it does not qualify as its a medium roof even though we can stand up in it and does not have two windows on the side, the roof is a medium roof and the middle windows are blocked off clearly seen from the photos we sent so all that is left is one for the cooker then the rear opening window and on the other side the sliding door window and the rear opening window, they have said because it looks like one continuous window from the outside it does not count, so they have classed it as a van with windows now, so we don't know where this leaves us as to insure the camper

Hi, Mine is a MID height LWB MK6 and having read the requirements i think it would be a waste of time for me to apply. DVLA clearly mention High roof, I wonder how all these VW's espescially pop tops are going to get on. They dont mention external service doors and vents but do mention motor home graphics, which are all things i could do without. They do state that the Van must clearly look like a Mobile home. :(

The clue is... pop top... and if they were registered either from new or before new regulations they cannot be outlawed now
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Essexaviator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:34 am

In 2019 i bought a brand new Renault conversion which was done by a quality firm who had always had the vans reregistered as Motor Caravans. However after July 2019 the DVLA moved the goal posts. They refused to reregister my van in August 2019 and classed it as a ‘van with side windows’ despite the fact if was built form new and met all the requirements. I wrote to the transport secretary and my MP and appealed to DVLA and got no joy.

In May bought a new 2021 Transit Custom Nugget LWB which whilst its better in build quality and equipment than the Renault is effectively the same type of Campervan. It’s registered as a Motor Caravan and only those manufactured by factories e.g. Merc Marco Polo, VW T6 California and Ford Nugget will get this motor caravan status.

It’s wrong. Two years ago I sold my VW Westfalia 1975 Campervan which was registered as a motor caravan. I could not do 70 in if I tried but the law said I could on dual carriageways. The brakes were also 45 year old technology. However I couldn’t drive my 2019 Renault Trafic at 70 on a dual carriageway as it was registered as a van with side windows. It’s crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Essexaviator

Postby dumper » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:45 am

Your not wrong it’s stupid to when they put hgvs upto 50 mph on single carriageway roads I was expecting vans to also have an increase of 10 mile an hour on them cannot understand why a lot of the Currier companies are not campaigning with the government to increase the speed on vans.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:52 am

dumper wrote: cannot understand why a lot of the Currier companies are not campaigning with the government to increase the speed on vans.

Probably because most of their drivers have no idea about the van speed limits anyway. The chances of being caught speeding seem to be quite slim. I get tailgated all the time by courier vans, whilst doing 50 on the rural roads around here :roll:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby dumper » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:27 pm

True Al they are like cyclists the rules of the road don’t matter to them but for us who obey the rules it would be good in southern Ireland vans up to 3500 kg its the same limit as cars should be round here not that I want to drive at 60 all the time .
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm

Just seen a new episode of ripoff Britten about a guy who built a camper van on lockdown sent in all the relevant paperwork for a logbook charge and like a lot of conversions on hear he got knocked back but the tv program intervened and the logbook has know been changed hopefully this may set a precedent and open the door for others in the same situation.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions