*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby Louey » Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Does the conversion have to be complete for them to change the vehicle status? I have the cooker, bed, water facilities and side windows but still finishing my toilet cubicle and trimmings.
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Louey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Louey wrote:Does the conversion have to be complete for them to change the vehicle status? I have the cooker, bed, water facilities and side windows but still finishing my toilet cubicle and trimmings.

I'm gonna take some photos and send off the details of work done and the V5 and see what happens.
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby solarman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Louey wrote:
Louey wrote:Does the conversion have to be complete for them to change the vehicle status? I have the cooker, bed, water facilities and side windows but still finishing my toilet cubicle and trimmings.

I'm gonna take some photos and send off the details of work done and the V5 and see what happens.

mine wasn't completeley finished but as long as you have put most of the fittings in take some photos and send it off,i just
got mine back and 2 weeks later i got mine back as 'motorcaravan' status,
Solarman.
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Louey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 pm

8)
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mk1cortiner » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

thanks for this, I bought long wheel base camper and when the V5 came I realised it's still registered as a panel van..
mk1cortiner
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Louey » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:02 am

Finally sent mine off - had to sort out the table. Hopefully my V5 will come back before the insurance renewal on the 27th July :D
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby solarman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Louey wrote:Finally sent mine off - had to sort out the table. Hopefully my V5 will come back before the insurance renewal on the 27th July :D

Good luck pal, :D
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Louey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:17 pm

solarman wrote:
Louey wrote:Finally sent mine off - had to sort out the table. Hopefully my V5 will come back before the insurance renewal on the 27th July :D

Good luck pal, :D

Just got a letter today stating that "externally the vehicle remains as it was originally constructed by the manufacturer. .....As the vehicle cannot be identified externally as a motor caravan for the purpose of our records, the body type description cannot be changed."

So it is a 'Van/side windows'

I shall be arguing my case on Monday morning :x
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby james49 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 pm

i must be doing something very wrong. ihave been trying to get my van re-registered for two years now. i have done everything required by d.v.l.a. i have sent more than a dozen photos and letters showung and explaining what i have done.they flatly refuse to re-register my van and will not give me a reason why.HELP PLEASE as i have now got to the stage where i either sell the van or scrap the damn thing. :(
james49

Postby solarman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 am

james49 wrote:i must be doing something very wrong. ihave been trying to get my van re-registered for two years now. i have done everything required by d.v.l.a. i have sent more than a dozen photos and letters showung and explaining what i have done.they flatly refuse to re-register my van and will not give me a reason why.HELP PLEASE as i have now got to the stage where i either sell the van or scrap the damn thing. :(

post pics on here so we can see,not enough info to go on with your post,pics may help a lot,
Solarman.
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Louey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:19 pm

I've been reading a thread or two on the SBMCC forum and it seems the DVLA are getting tougher and have their regs but not actually told anyone or publicised them.

Have a read at http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=32959 not sure if you have to be a forum member to read it.
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Davidreidy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Basicully rip the inside outs of an old caravan stick them in the back of ur van - add a window and walla you got your new motorhome :D cheaper insurence - I dont know about M.O.T Test as i know someone with a camper and they pay more then mine but every mot tester charge different.
Azuzas Removals - Man&Van Hire - Removals - House & Shop Clearence - Collections & Deliverys
Azuza Paint & Decorators - From a Rail to a full House to a full office or shop.
Davidreidy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Goodomens » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm

james49 wrote:i must be doing something very wrong. ihave been trying to get my van re-registered for two years now. i have done everything required by d.v.l.a. i have sent more than a dozen photos and letters showung and explaining what i have done.they flatly refuse to re-register my van and will not give me a reason why.HELP PLEASE as i have now got to the stage where i either sell the van or scrap the damn thing. :(

Hey, just recently got mine reregistered - after the second attempt. Called the DVLA and asked to speak to someone. Nice lady told me no, you can't speak to this team of intellectuals that decide who gets what in the campervan stakes. I said, but I would like to ensure I have complied with the rules before I send my details, so is there any specific information you can give. Nope, sonny, you just have to send and they will be in touch.

Then 4 weeks later I get a letter asking 'Can you send more photos of the exterior of the van' was the request. And an envelope was supplied, but no contact details for phone or e-mail. Sent the same pics of the exterior again as the first time and after another 4 weeks I got a letter and my pics back. I am now the proud owner of a campervan. But i suspect that they just sit in a room in england, drinking buckfast and spinning a bottle to decide who's life they can crush today...

I suspect, that if I could perform my job like that, i would be making a fortune by now!

just keep at it and do post the pictures so we can all see what you have been up to.
Goodomens
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bigredbus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 am

Hi i haven't been on for a while but my camper project is done bar a couple of finishing touches and i rang DVLA and they told me to send the v5 back with body change completed and a letter and photos.What my project had been is transplanting every thing from an L reg transit 80 regested MOTOR CARAVAN to a T reg transit 80 regiested PANEL VAN, i have swapped everything including the hightop camper roof it looks 100% campervan/motor home what ever you want to call it, it does noway look like a panel van anymore does this mean i have a very good chance getting it changed to a MOTOR CARAVAN in the log book i do still have a copy of the L reg v5 and have photos of that, i need to have this changed after al the work ive done so fingers crossed it will get sorted without to much hassle, look out tomorrow evening ill add some photo of my finished transit (MOTOR CARAVAN) im very pleased with it it's took me 3 years on and off but im ther now a great feeling.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=47384
Bigredbus
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mrswummin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 pm

I'd like to say thank you for the information in this thread
I am now the proud owner of a V5 saying my van is a motor caravan :D

I wrote a covering letter with bullet points listing the "essentials" in the first post
ie
. seating area fold out into a bed platform
.fixed kitchen unit with hob and grill
. fixed water container
.has a window in the side
.blah blah blah

I also sent pictures showing these as best I could
staged a bit-, plates on the eating area, I had some stuff in the sink to show it could be used,cushions on the seats, pillows on the bed...
but what I think made a big plus in my favour was the window has a funky starry curtain. the back door is covered in star stickers, the front again has star stickers, all shown in the photos. It couldn't really be mistaken for a working van.
Also the cab seats covers are a wee bit uncoventional, also shown in the photos
and I had left my campervan pass for parking at Reading festival on the windscreen
mrswummin

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions