*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.5di camshaft end float measurements

New member? Post here to say Hi, tell us about yourself and your Transit!

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

2.5di camshaft end float measurements

Postby In-transit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi,
I'm doing camshaft oil seal. Thought I'd sort the 2yr leak at last seeing as I'm replacing snapped cambelt! Took off cambelt pulley to look at seal.
Question 1, should end of camshaft come out and in 4/5mm????!!! DONT KNOW WHY but I have it a shot pull with fingertips and IT MOVED. Surely the thrust plate shouldn't let it move that much.
Question 2, in using an 8.5mm drill bit to lock camshaft but there is a slight revolving movement still, just a few degrees. 8.5 drill bit is a bit loose in timing hole but won't take 9mm drill bit. Is this 'baggyness' all taken up and ok when I do the rocker/valve clearances?
Question 3, can I get away with doing oil seal from front of engine (with camshaft in situ) as Haynes says take off intermediate plate (what I'd call engine front plate). I'd rather not take off that plate as more gaskets and stripping block more than I need for cambelt.
This site has proved ace before. Hope someone can help. Arran
In-transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.5di camshaft end float measurements

Postby Jay2018 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello mate, I see you have already introduced yourself in this section, welcome to the Forum AGAIN :D

This section is just to say hello, introduce yourself, your van and perhaps ask a few questions about the forum and its features.

You have to relay your technical questions into the appropriate section for your vehicle...
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: 2.5di camshaft end float measurements

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:01 am

Jay2018 wrote:Hello mate, I see you have already introduced yourself in this section, welcome to the Forum AGAIN :D

This section is just to say hello, introduce yourself, your van and perhaps ask a few questions about the forum and its features.

You have to relay your technical questions into the appropriate section for your vehicle...

He may have an ultra rare twin cam di :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Welcome