*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

weekend build 3 pics

Look in here for details of the fourms weekend makeover project. We will be doing a Transit restoration project over a few weekends and auctioning it off for charity once completed. Everyone is welcome to come along and take part.

Moderator: Luke

Re: weekend build 3 pics

Postby fordboynick » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:33 am

MinorMatt wrote:Hate to say it guys... but the rear section of the inner arches needs to be welded to the outside skin... (i.e where you have painted...)

That's sorted matt, they have been bonded together 8)
Transit Customising and Restoration
All types of customising bodywork & welding undertaken in our fully equipt workshop. Big engine transplants
fordboynick
Registered Trader
Registered Trader

Postby excalibur » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Only just seen this, and looking good. I did a Mk2 years ago, the only thing that stops me doing this nowadays is the need to SVA it. I assume this is going to be road legal so good luck with the SVA test
excalibur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pat stevens » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:11 pm

dont think do you need a sva test as its already registerd and you have only added on to the back not changed the original wheelbase
but i may be wrong as they seem to change the rules when they feel like it
if its got tits or wheels its always gonna end in trouble !!!
anyone can restore a van but it takes a real man to chop it up !!!
pat stevens
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby excalibur » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:13 pm

dont think do you need a sva test as its already registerd and you have only added on to the back not changed the original wheelbase
but i may be wrong as they seem to change the rules when they feel like it

DVLA will recognise it as a radically modified vehicle. They dont allow any chassis mods apart from brackets etc welded on and if the floorpan is modified its off to SVA I am afraid as it is significantly different to what it was registered as. Plenty of modded vehicles around on their original registrations but VOSA are clamping down on it. They were at a bike show earlier this year and several bikes were impounded for using the original registration number on a modified frame.
excalibur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:30 pm

as we've said if it needs a test we'll give it one but it uses the origanal floorpan :!: - the rear is just a big bracket welded on :D bikes are different as they can be impounded if they dont have a frame number if used off road, i cant see how they were impounded at a show unless they had no frame number or something that led them to believe it was a stolen vehicle - which show exactly was this or is it just a rumour :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby excalibur » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:56 pm

One of the bikes that were impounded was a guy on another forum I use, VOSA had been round the show and were pulling people as they left. His bike had a frame number, it was a standard bike that had been modified with a different top tube and hardtailed. They are getting really keen on this now, being a monocoque frame the Transit will need an SVA to be legal so I suggest getting a copy of the regs so as you know what you are building towards.
excalibur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Weekend makeover - Forum charity project!