Transitmania 12 @Santa Pod 15th to 17th May 2020

Mk8 transit flashes side door/rear passenger door open when

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Mk8 transit flashes side door/rear passenger door open when

Postby Rabfinn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 am

Hi, im looking for any help regarding the warnings that flash on my (l/w/b transit 2016) dash when turning only then as soon as it shows it goes away when I start to straighten the steering ! I've tried cleaning the contacts and spraying WD40 on them but still happens. Again any advice would be much appreciated as its so annoying
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk8 transit flashes side door/rear passenger door open w

Postby Frag » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm

Open sliding door,
Look at the rearmost edge of opening in bodywork,there should be a plunger type pin switch,
It’s likely broken,plunger missing, or needs adjusting...
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Rabfinn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:33 am

Thanks very much i really appreciate your help, ill have a look in the morning.
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rabfinn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Hiya, I don't know how to add pics yet! So I've opened the side door and there's a circular rubber up the top right corner as you look from outside i take it thats the bit you were talking about? It has a split in it and I don't want to pull at it until I know for sure thats the correct bit, i don't see anything else it could be so whats the best way to sort it (obviously renewing it) is there much to it? Thanks in advance
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rabfinn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:06 pm

I've just found out how to post a pic is that the part? If so is it simple to replace??
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:32 pm

No,that’s not it,if you stand facing the opening of the side door (assuming rhd,ns sliding door) it’s low down on your right.
I’ll see if I can find a pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Frag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 pm

This is the switch itself,end part/plunger may be missing completely
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273083234364
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Rabfinn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 am

Hi Frag, I see it on mine (its a r/h/d) and it looks in good nick and springing the way it should the only other thing I can think of is the side door does have a gap near the bottom end when closed fully ive tried adjusting the slider on the right middle (pictured) but no matter where I adjust it to it still shows a slight gap
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rabfinn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:36 am

On the same part if I pull the door in the open position there is play in the white rollers now i don't know if that's the problem as there is nothing else further down as you'll know. I'm thinking if the white rollers were new would they take the play out and pull it towards the body when closed? Thanks in advance for any help
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 am

There’s always play in the rollers and they don’t usually fail,if they do usually the ‘post’ that holds the roller will be loose.
Think I’ve only ever changed one.

Most common fault which happens to ALL vans !!,the long central bolt that goes down through hinged part of same assy,winds itself loose through opening and closing door.
Close the door till it’s nearly at the metal striker on the door frame,if it doesn’t line up in the centre of the catch assy in the door,tighten that long central bolt (there is a slim locknut at the bottom of it which is usually finger tight)
As you tighten the bolt it lifts the door back into alignment with the striker,usually when there is no gap under bolt head.
Think the bolt is a 12mm head,the thin locknut a 15mm

Adjustment to pull the door in if it’s not closing flush,is on the striker on door frame,Mark it’s position first,then loosen the 2 x torx bolts,gently tap it inwards,nip bolts and try it.

Also,the switch you’ve now found,is adjustable,it slides inside the collar on the ridges you can see in pic.
So when it’s new it’s extended,first time you shut the door on it it slides in it’s mounting to the required position.

If you just want to prove this is causing the fault,either re-adjust it,or stick some packing where it touches the door.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Rabfinn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Frag, I've put two double sided pads on the inside of the door so hopefully that's one thing solved ill have to wait to get home to adjust the 12mm one as I've only got a ratchet n 15mm socket with me but ill be sure to do it before I empty my fishing gear out as its really annoying me. I'm so grateful for all your help!! As you can tell this is the first van I've owned as they have always been company vans before and if it needed anything it got done through the work. But this is my pride and joy
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rabfinn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Im happy to report the side door and the passenger rear door dash warnings haven't came on since I tried your suggestion with two double sided pads so thanks very much for that!! Now before I go ahead and get the tools out is this bolt/pin the bit I need to adjust the bottom right side door?
I know you said loosen the striker and move it in slightly but if its the same as the two front door ones they don't have anywhere to move to as I said before but I will head out now just to see if i can adjust it but thought I'd ask about the part pictured. Cheers
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rabfinn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:24 pm

Is this the part you were saying needed a 12mm and a 15mm to adjust the bottom right side door inwards? I meant to say I adjusted the rubber bit you can turn by hand but even with it out as far as it goes I can still see its not touching the body due to the gap on the bottom of the side door. Cheers
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rabfinn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:01 am

Ideally the striker could be a few mm lower, it closes fine but on closer inspection I see its not in the centre.
I've just found a hex bit and loosened the part pictured but just like the front doors it doesn't slide!
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:51 am

So to start with,
In your first picture,tighten the 12mm bolt,A bit at a time,
which will raise the door while doing so,once the swage lines on door are level,the striker in pic 2 should be in the centre of where latch closes onto it.
Once your happy with it,tighten up the lower 15mm locknut,while holding the top nut.

As you tighten the bolt in red,the threads on it raise the Yellow part of bracket,blue locks it once adjusted.
(You will see how,opening and closing door,causes the bolt,to ‘unscrew’,and therefore lower the door !!!!!)
Frag
Ford Technician

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits