*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Timing belt recall

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Timing belt recall

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:55 am

George Lamm wrote:Thing is I've landed myself in a difficult situation. I bought a 16 plate 2.2 litre where 10 days later the ecu had a fault caused by a injector short. I can return that, but cannot find a l3 h3 other than then new ones 2.0 ecoblue.

Any chance I could just get a new belt changed straight away?

That would be ideal, but at your cost.
If Ford wont do the inspection of the belt as per the recall info on the first page promptly. I will do the inspection myself (or a trusted mechanic) Its only peer down the oil filler hole. This will help understand the condition of each belt.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 am

Willber37 wrote:Software update?!.. I don't like the sound of that.. What if we've had an ECU Remap on latest ECU firmware? How would it effect that?

I'll be first in line at my local dealers even though only done 21k miles, this is a monumental design flaw. The last thing anyone with a camper conversion would want is to blow the engine up when road-tripping Europe etc.

If you're thinking of buying this Mk8 especially around the 60k miles mark I'd hold off until the recall is in full swing. Risky business otherwise IMO.

Our van is a 16 plate 2.0 with 60K miles, so one of the early ones. Reason I'm thinking along the software fix is early on in the vans life it had at least 3 visits to the dealer relating to "oil dilution" and "change oil" messages on the dash. During one visit the dipstick was replaced with a shorter one and more oil added to the engine! This issue has now been sorted with the dipstick mod and software updates.
Was the timing belt getting damaged early on in the vans life because of fuel diluting the oil? possible is my guess. I will add though during these visits to the dealer the engine oil was getting changed. So in theory the van wasn't running for long with potentially high amounts of fuel in the oil.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby George Lamm » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Chrisp74 wrote:
George Lamm wrote:Thing is I've landed myself in a difficult situation. I bought a 16 plate 2.2 litre where 10 days later the ecu had a fault caused by a injector short. I can return that, but cannot find a l3 h3 other than then new ones 2.0 ecoblue.

Any chance I could just get a new belt changed straight away?

That would be ideal, but at your cost.
If Ford wont do the inspection of the belt as per the recall info on the first page promptly. I will do the inspection myself (or a trusted mechanic) Its only peer down the oil filler hole. This will help understand the condition of each belt.

OK right thanks, yeah of course, I see. I'm not too clever on engines one bit. I'm getting a quote today from a place in North London. They have done this before and know about the problem. I'll post on here what the cost is.
George Lamm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Willber37 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 am

[/quote]
Chrisp74 wrote:
Willber37 wrote:Software update?!.. I don't like the sound of that.. What if we've had an ECU Remap on latest ECU firmware? How would it effect that?

I'll be first in line at my local dealers even though only done 21k miles, this is a monumental design flaw. The last thing anyone with a camper conversion would want is to blow the engine up when road-tripping Europe etc.

If you're thinking of buying this Mk8 especially around the 60k miles mark I'd hold off until the recall is in full swing. Risky business otherwise IMO.

Our van is a 16 plate 2.0 with 60K miles, so one of the early ones. Reason I'm thinking along the software fix is early on in the vans life it had at least 3 visits to the dealer relating to "oil dilution" and "change oil" messages on the dash. During one visit the dipstick was replaced with a shorter one and more oil added to the engine! This issue has now been sorted with the dipstick mod and software updates.
Was the timing belt getting damaged early on in the vans life because of fuel diluting the oil? possible is my guess. I will add though during these visits to the dealer the engine oil was getting changed. So in theory the van wasn't running for long with potentially high amounts of fuel in the oil.

Fair enough mate that makes sense, I swap out the oil and fuel filter every 10k anyway non of this long life nonsense.

Does anyone know if they're replacing the wet belts with a like for like or is it uprated?
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chrisp74 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am

The Timing belt part number is listed on the recall. A friendly parts man might confirm it’s an updated part?
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby George Lamm » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Chrisp74 wrote:The Timing belt part number is listed on the recall. A friendly parts man might confirm it’s an updated part?

Etis doesn't show any recalls on the van I am purchasing. Can I go into a Ford transit centre and get them to check?

I assume there aren't any signs to be felt if the timing belt is going to fail
George Lamm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby George Lamm » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 pm

p2thed wrote:2

Mental.
George Lamm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby griffin41 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:11 am

Does anybody know if this was sorted out by 19 plate. We've just brought one as a disabled vehicle for my 90 year old dad.
Thanks in advance.
that is not my belly - i just need to make that clear and if you find a cure let everyone know it
griffin41
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ray Austin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Interesting video about the 1.8 mondeo engine that also has a timing belt that runs in oil.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goxwu9EzjiY
Ray Austin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby man le-mans » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 pm

It would be good if Fords upgraded was to the chain tho I can’t see that happening
MK8 L2H2 T350 TREND 68 plate silver 130bhp
Mk7 MWB M/R T350 TREND 2010 SILVER 115BHP
MK7 MWB M/R T350 2009 BLUE 115BHP (crap)
MK6 MWB M/R T280 full electric pack silver 2003 85BHP
Smiley face T reg L/R SWB ex BT
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Willber37 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Ray Austin wrote:Interesting video about the 1.8 mondeo engine that also has a timing belt that runs in oil.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goxwu9EzjiY

That was interesting thanks! Thing is he reckons about £1k for the chain conversion which is a lot! I definitely don't see that happening to the 2.0 EcoBlue it's designed around friction reduction. From https://wikizero.com/index.php/en/Ford_EcoBlue_engine : " New belt-in-oil system are being used to drive the cams to reduce friction while the head’s intake system is engineered to equally balance the air between each cylinder."

Good to know the Bi-Turbo Ford Rangers are using the same engines.. We can share the shame. :lol:
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby austieman » Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 pm

George Lamm wrote:Etis doesn't show any recalls on the van I am purchasing. Can I go into a Ford transit centre and get them to check?

I assume there aren't any signs to be felt if the timing belt is going to fail

I believe the recalls were cancelled due to a parts supply issue? Not sure what the status is now, but the recall was visible on Etis for about a week a few months back before being removed again.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Smokedog » Wed May 12, 2021 8:54 am

Yes still nothing on etis for 2017 2.0 ecotec here. Worries about this as mileage getting on now
Smokedog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chrisp74 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:27 pm

Smokedog wrote:Yes still nothing on etis for 2017 2.0 ecotec here. Worries about this as mileage getting on now

Take the initiative yourself. Everything you need to know to carry out the inspection, is shown in this thread. Only basic tools required. If your not comfortable doing it get a mechanic you trust to do it for you. Should take no more than 30 minutes to carry out the inspection.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby p2thed » Wed May 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Just a side by side comparison of the old belt(heavily deteriorated)and the new recall belt and part number,if anyone is changing theirs. If any one is going to do it themselves then the sump pan must come off, the oil strainer was completely chocked with belt fragments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits