*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Retrofit cruise control help

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Retrofit cruise control help

Postby bbrc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi
I am now the proud owner of a 2019 transit l2h2 2.0l 130 ps but would love to have been able to find one with cruise control. Is there a way to retrofit a ford one ? If so would anyone please be kind enough to tell me what parts I would need etc?
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks
Bob
bbrc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Retrofit cruise control help

Postby Sam123 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:01 am

As far as I know, until recently nobody had managed to retrofit factory CC to a MK8.

But, just the other day I came across https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/add-cruise-control.78972/page-2, where some chap in the US seems to have managed it. However, it seems like the US vans are wired differently to European vans. Interestingly it seems like European vans come as standard with the 16 pin clock spring module. I have tried what the poster in the above did, and it didn't work for me, but I am working on it and will update if I manage it.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bbrc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:23 pm

Excellent sam 123, thanks for the reply and the link.
please keep us updated
Regards
Bob
bbrc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Sam123 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:12 am

Success!

I have a UK 2015 Mk8 Jumbo which came with the standard plastic steering wheel, with left and right D-pad buttons (right-hand for volume and song-skip, not telephone control), but no cruise.

I tried this previously with a leather cruise-equipped steering wheel from a UK MK8, as below (part number BK21-3600-JA35B8 I think):

You'll see that the left-hand D pad on the above is the standard up-down-left-right-OK, and the right-hand D-pad is volume/song-skip & also telephone controls.

Anyway, fitted the above steering wheel, activated cruise control (CC) and adaptive speed control (ASC) in central configuration using Forscan ... but it didn't work. All the controls illuminated, but it flagged up a fault code for the cruise control switch, something along the lines of "switch incorrect", cruise control did't work, and the right-hand D pad buttons didn't operate properly.

But I noticed that there is another type of leather/cruise steering wheel, see below:

Which I think is part number BK21-3600-FD35B8

You'll see that the visual difference in in the right-hand D-pad buttons - they are the same as on my plastic steering wheel, just volume and song skip, no telephone controls.

As far as I can make out, this type of steering wheel must only have been fitted on continental European vans, because that is where all the second-hand wheels of this type are, mainly Spain, and I haven't seen another van in the UK with this wheel.

Anyway, fitted it, and it works. Both the left and right-hand D-pad buttons work fine, and most importantly the cruise control also works (after activating CC and ASC in central config using Forscan). Also, something I wasn't expecting, the cruise control settings (e.g. set speed, pause, limiter etc) display correctly in the screen in the instrument cluster. So I'm very pleased.

Referring to the link to the US Transit forum that I posted above, I found that my van already had the 16 pin clock spring module (and indeed 99% of the second-hand ones I can see on Ebay UK) seem to be 16-pin, so it looks like UK vans must all come with the 16-pin module, so no need to change.

So it looks like the first steering wheel above that I bought is wired differently to the correct second type. It looks like all of the hardware itself is the same, and so presumably if you can figure out the correct pin configuration the first type of steering wheel could be adapted to work, but if you can find one of the second type it is a straight swap with no messing about. There are currently a couple of the correct second type on ebay in Spain.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby scottsmokes » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:30 pm

Does this mean the only part that needs changing to retro fit CC is the steering wheel, + some forscan modifications ?
scottsmokes

Postby Sam123 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:02 am

Yes, it certainly was on mine.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sam123 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm

I presume that the reason for the difference in wiring connector pin configuration between the above two steering wheels is Ford deliberately trying to make it difficult to retrofit CC.

As far as I can make out, the second, correct, type of steering wheel wasn't an option on UK vans, i.e. it wasn't an option to have cruise control without also having telephone controls. It looks like, in the UK (Trend spec), you could only have cruise control + telephone controls together, and so used the first steering wheel type, with a different connector pin configuration to the base model, like mine.

As I mentioned, it looks like the correct second type of steering wheel, i.e. cruise control but not telephone controls, was only available on continental Europe vans, as that is where all the second hand wheels seem to be.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bbrc » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Just an update.

With help from Sam123, a gentleman called fcoplo on the forscan forum and finally forscan technical help I got my cruise control and adjustable speed limiter working :D

It seems that My vehicle does not have central configuration so it was a matter of enabling the cruise control in the BCMII (select option 2 cruise control), enabling adjustable speed limiter (option 2 ASL) and cruise control (select option 2 cruise control) in the PCM module, enabling the cruise control switch in the sccm module (this gives 2 switch options which I think are the switch part numbers, I guessed at option 1 as I didnt want to take the airbag off again and luckily it worked fine but if you are doing this remeber to check the part number on your cruise control switch before fitting and then you should know which of these options to select)
I also enabled adjustable speed limiter in the IPC module (option 2 ASL)
I was confused for a little while by a cruise control switch setting in the IPC module which would revert to disabled every time I enabled it and then exited out of the IPC module but it obviously doesnt matter as mine is working fine.
All the best
bbrc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Dan T » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:43 pm

bbrc wrote:Just an update.

With help from Sam123, a gentleman called fcoplo on the forscan forum and finally forscan technical help I got my cruise control and adjustable speed limiter working :D

It seems that My vehicle does not have central configuration so it was a matter of enabling the cruise control in the BCMII (select option 2 cruise control), enabling adjustable speed limiter (option 2 ASL) and cruise control (select option 2 cruise control) in the PCM module, enabling the cruise control switch in the sccm module (this gives 2 switch options which I think are the switch part numbers, I guessed at option 1 as I didnt want to take the airbag off again and luckily it worked fine but if you are doing this remeber to check the part number on your cruise control switch before fitting and then you should know which of these options to select)
I also enabled adjustable speed limiter in the IPC module (option 2 ASL)
I was confused for a little while by a cruise control switch setting in the IPC module which would revert to disabled every time I enabled it and then exited out of the IPC module but it obviously doesnt matter as mine is working fine.
All the best

Out of interest is this a facelift mk8 or pre-facelift ?
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dantis » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi, so I live in Spain and have a 2018 LHD without cruise fitted, my factory steering wheel has the telephone controls on the right hand joystick control, does that mean that I can fit the UK leather wheel with factory cruise and telephone controls?
2018 Ford Transit 350 L3H2 FWD Stage 1 Remap (LHD)
2019 Ford Tourneo Connect Grand Titanium (LHD)
2007 Ford Tourneo Connect GLX (LHD)
1987 Jeep Wrangler 4.2 (LHD)
Dantis
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dantis » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Dantis wrote:Hi, so I live in Spain and have a 2018 LHD without cruise fitted, my factory steering wheel has the telephone controls on the right hand joystick control, does that mean that I can fit the UK leather wheel with factory cruise and telephone controls?

My part number of my existing wheel is DT11-3600-BA35B8 and looks like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=DT11-36 ... MSyXp9QDIM
Dantis
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sam123 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Probably. Looks like you can use the first steering wheel in my picture above, which in the UK at least is quite easy to come by.

Christ knows why Ford came up with so many minutely different variants of a bl**dy steering wheel.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dantis » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Sam123 wrote:Probably. Looks like you can use the first steering wheel in my picture above, which in the UK at least is quite easy to come by.

Christ knows why Ford came up with so many minutely different variants of a bl**dy steering wheel.

I know :roll:

Thank you
Dantis
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Transient-owner » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi Sam123 sorry to resurrect an old thres but I have just recently been given a 17 plate transit connect through work and want to fit cruise to it. Did your van have the standard Ford telephone system in it or not? Only reason I ask is mine has in built phone connectivity on the dash/ head unit but no buttons on the steering wheel im wondering if I fit the first steering wheel in your thread I can kill two birds with one stone phone buttons and cruise, but I'm also thinking that if you had phone connectivity on the dash/headunit and thus didn't work for you it won't work for me either and I will need a steering wheel the same as that shown in your second photo can you advise on the above

Thanks
Mike
Transient-owner

Postby Stevedjwright » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Is yours a 2.0 adblue ?

Having issues myself can’t get cruise to activate with forscan

Sam123 wrote:Success!

I have a UK 2015 Mk8 Jumbo which came with the standard plastic steering wheel, with left and right D-pad buttons (right-hand for volume and song-skip, not telephone control), but no cruise.

I tried this previously with a leather cruise-equipped steering wheel from a UK MK8, as below (part number BK21-3600-JA35B8 I think):

You'll see that the left-hand D pad on the above is the standard up-down-left-right-OK, and the right-hand D-pad is volume/song-skip & also telephone controls.

Anyway, fitted the above steering wheel, activated cruise control (CC) and adaptive speed control (ASC) in central configuration using Forscan ... but it didn't work. All the controls illuminated, but it flagged up a fault code for the cruise control switch, something along the lines of "switch incorrect", cruise control did't work, and the right-hand D pad buttons didn't operate properly.

But I noticed that there is another type of leather/cruise steering wheel, see below:

Which I think is part number BK21-3600-FD35B8

You'll see that the visual difference in in the right-hand D-pad buttons - they are the same as on my plastic steering wheel, just volume and song skip, no telephone controls.

As far as I can make out, this type of steering wheel must only have been fitted on continental European vans, because that is where all the second-hand wheels of this type are, mainly Spain, and I haven't seen another van in the UK with this wheel.

Anyway, fitted it, and it works. Both the left and right-hand D-pad buttons work fine, and most importantly the cruise control also works (after activating CC and ASC in central config using Forscan). Also, something I wasn't expecting, the cruise control settings (e.g. set speed, pause, limiter etc) display correctly in the screen in the instrument cluster. So I'm very pleased.

Referring to the link to the US Transit forum that I posted above, I found that my van already had the 16 pin clock spring module (and indeed 99% of the second-hand ones I can see on Ebay UK) seem to be 16-pin, so it looks like UK vans must all come with the 16-pin module, so no need to change.

So it looks like the first steering wheel above that I bought is wired differently to the correct second type. It looks like all of the hardware itself is the same, and so presumably if you can figure out the correct pin configuration the first type of steering wheel could be adapted to work, but if you can find one of the second type it is a straight swap with no messing about. There are currently a couple of the correct second type on ebay in Spain.
Stevedjwright

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits