*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Retrofit cruise control help

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Retrofit cruise control help

Postby johnporter11 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:17 pm

I couldn't open your picture of BK21-3600-JA35B8 .
Just to be sure of the one I shouldn't buy!
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby KevofCov » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Sam123 wrote:Success!

I have a UK 2015 Mk8 Jumbo which came with the standard plastic steering wheel, with left and right D-pad buttons (right-hand for volume and song-skip, not telephone control), but no cruise.

I tried this previously with a leather cruise-equipped steering wheel from a UK MK8, as below (part number BK21-3600-JA35B8 I think):

You'll see that the left-hand D pad on the above is the standard up-down-left-right-OK, and the right-hand D-pad is volume/song-skip & also telephone controls.

Anyway, fitted the above steering wheel, activated cruise control (CC) and adaptive speed control (ASC) in central configuration using Forscan ... but it didn't work. All the controls illuminated, but it flagged up a fault code for the cruise control switch, something along the lines of "switch incorrect", cruise control did't work, and the right-hand D pad buttons didn't operate properly.

But I noticed that there is another type of leather/cruise steering wheel, see below:

Which I think is part number BK21-3600-FD35B8

You'll see that the visual difference in in the right-hand D-pad buttons - they are the same as on my plastic steering wheel, just volume and song skip, no telephone controls.

As far as I can make out, this type of steering wheel must only have been fitted on continental European vans, because that is where all the second-hand wheels of this type are, mainly Spain, and I haven't seen another van in the UK with this wheel.

Anyway, fitted it, and it works. Both the left and right-hand D-pad buttons work fine, and most importantly the cruise control also works (after activating CC and ASC in central config using Forscan). Also, something I wasn't expecting, the cruise control settings (e.g. set speed, pause, limiter etc) display correctly in the screen in the instrument cluster. So I'm very pleased.

Referring to the link to the US Transit forum that I posted above, I found that my van already had the 16 pin clock spring module (and indeed 99% of the second-hand ones I can see on Ebay UK) seem to be 16-pin, so it looks like UK vans must all come with the 16-pin module, so no need to change.

So it looks like the first steering wheel above that I bought is wired differently to the correct second type. It looks like all of the hardware itself is the same, and so presumably if you can figure out the correct pin configuration the first type of steering wheel could be adapted to work, but if you can find one of the second type it is a straight swap with no messing about. There are currently a couple of the correct second type on ebay in Spain.

Hi Sam and well done. Quick question - whilst you have gained cruise control you appear to have lost to ability to control of your phone from your steering wheel. Is this correct?
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Sam123 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:33 am

Hi Kev
No, the basic phone controls (answering and closing call) still work (reading back my first posts I can see I was unclear on this). Basically the left and right d-pad buttons on the cruise steering wheel I found are identical to those on my old plastic non-cruise wheel. I will take a better size photo of new wheel and upload later.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sam123 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 pm

To muddy the waters on this again, Kev you are right. On my current cruise wheel I can’t answer phone. I was forgetting that I answer the phone using the button on the head unit. But that is exactly the same as on my old non-cruise wheel - again the d-pad buttons on this cruise wheel are identical to my old non-cruise wheel. If you look on the Vantuner site you can see the photos that I sent Martin for his info which shows the incorrect wheel that I tried first (which had the telphone controls on the right D-pad buttons), and the correct wheel that I now have (which is just volume and song skip on right d-pad buttons, same as non-cruise wheel).
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:45 pm

Having got that established, could someone give an update on exactly what is:
required to be sourced
and the procedure for changing a 2015 bog standard plastic wheel
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby KevofCov » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:18 pm

johnporter11 wrote:Having got that established, could someone give an update on exactly what is:
required to be sourced

same from me please
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:40 pm

KevofCov wrote:
johnporter11 wrote:Having got that established, could someone give an update on exactly what is:
required to be sourced

same from me please

Having thought about this there may not be a simple black and white 'how to' on this topic. All sorts of different combo's of vans/bcm/steering wheels........
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HDITUNING » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:52 pm

I just went through fitting cruise/limit to a 16plate custom.
I'll make a guide on my findings.
Basically you can use either steering wheel type but only your original switches work with your radio.
And also if your using IDS you MUST enable speed limit and cruise control or it will log that fault for "incorrect switch"
HDITUNING

Postby logic » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:27 pm

I've just got cruise control working on my 2017 poor man spec transit, it came with the plastic wheel which was a bit chewed like so I bought a leather wheel exact same as sam123's photo which had the same menu and stereo buttons as my original wheel, these are quite common on the spanish eBay.
To swap, disconnect the battery then turn the wheel full left and right to undo the screws behind to release the centre airbag panel, then it's simply a big nut to release and swap the wheel. This left the menu and stereo buttons working fine, but I couldn't get the cruise working. Today I managed to find a firmware update for my Vlinker FD which then in Forscan allowed the PCM module to be written with cruise control enabled. I enabled the ASL at then same time (not sure which module) then all was working as expected.
2017 170bhp LWB 350
logic

Postby Sam123 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:27 am

logic wrote:I've just got cruise control working on my 2017 poor man spec transit,

Well done! It's strange though that Ford only seemed to sell the cruise + non-telephone option in Spain.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BoSelecta75 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:48 am

I would love to do this but have been searching Spanish ebay all week for a suitable 'volante'! They all have the phone controls on the right side D Pad - I guess ill have to be patient!
BoSelecta75

Postby BoSelecta75 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:56 am

I wonder if this non leather version from a custom would work? Located in poland and the first i've seen with the correct D pad on the right however its from a Custom so who knows! Might have a gamble on it if its still there in a week or so and nothing else has popped up.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/295698910799?ha ... R8TUwJjoYg
BoSelecta75

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits