*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Seem to have erratic fuel economy

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Seem to have erratic fuel economy

Postby bortaf » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:44 pm

My last tank in the connect i got 38MPG (90PS 1.8TDCi) all town driving :(
I havn't used a non supermarket fuel pump in 32 years :wink:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mcbutler » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:57 pm

bortaf wrote:Outside temp makes a differance, at the mo i get 380 MPTank in my fusion (1.4TDCi), in the summer i get 420MPT, in my connect (1.8TDCi) i loose the same millage in the winter except if i use recurculate on the heater i don't loose as much MPG :?

Also the dash Computor will estimate the miles per tank based on past driving, IE if you were hammering it on A roads then filled up it would estimate a lower MPT than if you'd prev been poodling along on a motorway :wink:

Strange that, if you consider cold air is denser than warm air then you will be getting more air into your cylinder than you do in summer so theoretically more power!
I know they remix diesel from around mid nov to reduce waxing for winter but it should still be the same power fuel otherwise it would not match its cetane level and you are essentially being defrauded if thats the case.
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 pm

bortaf wrote:My last tank in the connect i got 38MPG (90PS 1.8TDCi) all town driving :(

Old ones were a bit pony on fuel, high frontal area :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:19 pm

mcbutler wrote:Strange that, if you consider cold air is denser than warm air then you will be getting more air into your cylinder than you do in summer so theoretically more power!
I know they remix diesel from around mid nov to reduce waxing for winter but it should still be the same power fuel otherwise it would not match its cetane level and you are essentially being defrauded if thats the case.

Diesel engines don’t see the benefits of cold air like petrol engines do, that affects the fuel consumption too.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:58 am

Mike wrote:
mcbutler wrote:Strange that, if you consider cold air is denser than warm air then you will be getting more air into your cylinder than you do in summer so theoretically more power!

Diesel engines don’t see the benefits of cold air like petrol engines do, that affects the fuel consumption too.

Really ??? So what's the point of an intercooler then ?
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:42 am

They (as you’re fully aware) need an intercooler to lower the air temp after the turbo, all I’m saying is that the benefits aren’t as marked as they are with a petrol engine.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby bortaf » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:49 pm

mcbutler wrote:
bortaf wrote:Outside temp makes a differance, at the mo i get 380 MPTank in my fusion (1.4TDCi), in the summer i get 420MPT, in my connect (1.8TDCi) i loose the same millage in the winter except if i use recurculate on the heater i don't loose as much MPG :?

Also the dash Computor will estimate the miles per tank based on past driving, IE if you were hammering it on A roads then filled up it would estimate a lower MPT than if you'd prev been poodling along on a motorway :wink:

Strange that, if you consider cold air is denser than warm air then you will be getting more air into your cylinder than you do in summer so theoretically more power!

Defrauded ? what would you rather have, slightly less MPG or be stranded cos the vehical wont start due to waxing :wink:
In reality there's lots of reasons, longer warm up times, higher electrical load on the engine, lower tyre pressures (more rolling resistance), denser air meaning more fuel is injected (but does your right foot compensate by pushing less), you could even argue that colder air is denser so there's more resistance from the air(more a factor on motorways i assume) and given that diesel produce less heat than a petrol using up that heat to warm the cabin must also have an effect to some degree :?
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bortaf » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:50 pm

V184 wrote:
bortaf wrote:My last tank in the connect i got 38MPG (90PS 1.8TDCi) all town driving :(

Old ones were a bit pony on fuel, high frontal area :wink:

Not really an issue with town driving, especially in frikken London :evil: rarely get over 20 ! :lol:
But yes being brick shaped gives you the aero of err,, a brick :lol:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dumper » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:46 pm

bortaf wrote:
mcbutler wrote:

Defrauded ? what would you rather have, slightly less MPG or be stranded cos the vehical wont start due to waxing :wink:
In reality there's lots of reasons, longer warm up times, higher electrical load on the engine, lower tyre pressures (more rolling resistance), denser air meaning more fuel is injected (but does your right foot compensate by pushing less), you could even argue that colder air is denser so there's more resistance from the air(more a factor on motorways i assume) and given that diesel produce less heat than a petrol using up that heat to warm the cabin must also have an effect to some degree :?

I remember before winter diesel was available we had manly transit vans but we had 6 Leyland Sherpa as soon as we had a long period of below freezing they would end up breaking down at one bad winter we had all 6 in the workshop due to waxing diesel but it was not only them but they were the worst we used to also put 10% petrol in them until you could get a additive to add to your bulk tank it’s better to lose a bit of mpg then braking down when it’s freeing.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits