*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

engine repair or renew

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

engine repair or renew

Postby jack62 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:06 am

My 2018 van shredded the timing belt the other day, it does have 139k on clock (nature of my job) but well serviced. started stripping it down to take head off and hit the injectors removal, cant get them out so would need the removal tool (not cheap) but cant see damage without getting head off.

Trying to decide if its worth getting head off as damage may be bad making it uneconomical to repair or just bite the bullet and get a secondhand engine which is a bit of gamble but quicker to do.

can get the head reconditioned for around £300 - £500 + gaskets,injector tool and new timing belt etc or replacement engine upwards of 2.5k
the fact that my engine has done 139k and will need a clutch shortly as well has me leaning on replacing engine

alternative views appreciated
jack62

Re: engine repair or renew

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:49 pm

My first move would be this:

https://www.ford.co.uk/support/warranty-check

to see if its sill in warranty, some came with 5 years warranty.

and for some, ford extended the coverage for these belts.

you may not get everything ..they may give you a percentage ..but worth checking out first ..before you go spending anything.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dumper » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:03 pm

Also have a look on YouTube at salvage rebuilds. they did a 2.0 eco blue they didn’t remove the head they changed the camshaft and carrier maybe worth a go if you have no luck with Ford .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jack62 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:37 pm

Thank guys
out of warranty so thats out.
watched video on youtube although thats a FWD gives me a bit of hope.

Got timing cover off belt was still under tension but missing a few teeth, started to strip down top end which although not difficult is a pain due too the amount of stuff requiring removal just to get cam cover off just waiting on the expensive injector removal tool arriving today so should have better idea once that is off in morning.

So far only cost is the £284 + £35 deliver for injector tool didnt want to chance any damage due too price of new ones, will be selling tool when im done with it so will get a bit back.

will keep this updated with outcome and costs as i go along.
jack62

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:03 pm

As I understand Ford are doing them even out of warranty maybe still worth checking
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jack62 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks for info but not got time to mess about with ford, no van means no money coming in so need to get it back on road asap but wont take short cuts and if new engine is what i need then it will get done.
jack62

Postby jack62 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:21 pm

An update on my troubles, eventually got head cover off after a battle with the last fuel injector ( rwd) and the injector removal tool as theres not a lot of space.
so on checking the camshafts the inlet was spinning no problem however exhaust camshaft was not very hard too move at first thought it was bent closer inspection led me to the vacuum pump the exhaust camshaft turns, take off pump and camshaft moves fine, dismantle pump and its wrecked inside full off broken plastic which makes me thing the pump was cause of belt shredding its teeth as camshaft is only thing that turns belt.

Checked cam followers all ok, checked top of valves with straight edge all look to be same height and in line, put a rubber glove down each of injector holes and turned engine over by hand you could see the downward movement of piston sucking the glove in which suggests that the cylinders are air tight and on the up stroke the gloves popped out of injector holes. Looks like that valves have escaped damage although will need to turn engine over to check compression unless i get hold of a compressor and pump air into cylinder and see if its ok. glow plug/injector holes are too small for my camera to fit down to check
jack62

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 am

Don't forget to sump off and check oil strainer for belt debris.
Maybe check/clean turbo oil feed and return hoses.
Can de-laminating belt cause vacuum pump oil starvation?
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits