*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How bad a vehicle is the MK8 transit??

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: How bad a vehicle is the MK8 transit??

Postby austieman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:46 am

V184 wrote:When in warranty its the reluctance to replace anything :wink: Buy a Connect you can take them into the car dealers who seem more switched on again from personal experience :wink: would have thought apart from running the belts in oil there the same as any other euro6 3.5 t vehicle :shock:

That doesn't surprise me, they make no money if parts need to be replaced in warranty.
I'd say the wet belt is a critical difference though, particularly when you consider that when it snaps you are left with a piece of scrap metal. The fact that it is in the engine makes it so hard to inspect and when you add to it that they are snapping well before the 150k service interval I think makes it a particularly undesirable vehicle. At least with an external belt it can be inspected fairly easily, and you can have more confidence with a chain that it should at least hit the service interval.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm

cant really fault mine, i brought it off ford in 2017 with 7000 miles on it,its a 2016 2.2 l4 trend, it had a turbo issue after a couple of weeks which was done under warentee and a blocked dpf wich they did a software update and now it regens every 100 miles and its now done 252,000 miles, the only other issues was a broken wire caused by the rubber cover on rocker cover and the intercooler pipe wore a hole were it touched the chassis but neither time let me down just gave me a warning light but got me home but it has been a fabulous van on the whole and still looks and drives like a new one
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby man le-mans » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:20 pm

The problem is you never hear about the thousands of transit on the road doing hundreds of miles each year with no problems.

Even tho I’ve never had any problems with mine What does worry me with my mk8 transit is, although i’ve only done 20,000 miles in three years, long-term with this wet belt problem isn’t good. I was hoping this to be my last van, but now thinking if to trade it in within the next year or two.
MK8 L2H2 T350 TREND 68 plate silver 130bhp
Mk7 MWB M/R T350 TREND 2010 SILVER 115BHP
MK7 MWB M/R T350 2009 BLUE 115BHP (crap)
MK6 MWB M/R T280 full electric pack silver 2003 85BHP
Smiley face T reg L/R SWB ex BT
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mcbutler » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 pm

workbox wrote:
mcbutler wrote:Hi all,
When i bought my 90,000 mile 2014 transit jumbo 2.2TDCI i took it to my local garage that I have used for many years. I asked the guys to do a once over and when I told him what the vehicle was he raised his eyes to me and said "how many miles?" I said 90k and he said "how many engines has it had?" I laughed and he said "no seriously"....

Well it checked out ok and seemed ok to me so I spent lockdown converting it into a luxury camper and it looks amazing now its done.

However since driving it I am getting regular warning lamps, DMF failed - clutch failed - clutch master failed - clutch slave failed - tone ring 'fell off' - abs sensor failed - headlamps blowing bulbs weekly - headlamp levelling failed - aux belt tensioner 'fell off''!!!!! - aux belt pulleys are not in line and not adjustable (bad build quality) - hill start assist comes and goes as it likes so its turned off - 3 glow plugs gone out - leaking roof - alarm goes off for no reason now and then - and to round it off the turbo actuator has just gone so its back to the garagre again next week for another £450 waste of money!

This is only the second ford I have ever owned, last one was a 2014 focus - it ground to a halt at 70k with really acrid smoke coming from the exhaust and no error codes. I was advised to scrap it as chasing the problem would soon eat up the value of the car, I ignored that and at 4k in it went to the breaker as a spotless low mileage fully serviced pile of scrap.

Are fords always like this fellas???

Vans is the most abused commercial vehicles. Buying van older than 3 years is a gamble. Leased vans squeez to dead, by the end of 5th year of steady service vans sold as scrap metal. In average commercial vans doing 20-30k miles per year. if you bying 7 years old van x 30 = most likely 150-200k miles regardless what it says on the dashboard.
I checked mine through all its MOT records and called ATS the previous users, mileage checks out as genuine in both cases
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Murphanator » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:19 am

I’ve 2 x 2014 MK8 Transits on the road bought 2nd hand with 18k miles on them, now they’ve both got 150k miles on the clocks.

In the first 2 years I had loads of problems with both vans, continual warning lights, crankshaft pulleys shearing off. Full replacements of wishbones bushings. Knackered clutches. ...air filters getting wet then getting sucked into the turbo. It was a real nightmare and truly thought the mark8’s were a bit rubbish.

Then I put trackers in vans, then saw why....Lads were driving the living daylights out of them..speeding like maniacs down country roads. Harsh acceleration...and breaking...god knows what else.

Now I do oil change/filter, air and fuel filters every 6000miles religiously and tell the lads they are being checked for their driving. Vans are much calmer on the roads now!

I’ve been very happy with the vans since then, last 4 years with no major mechanical problems. I’d certainly buy another MK8, I’m not saying they are perfect, but how they are driven and maintenance schedule has a lot to do with reliability in my experience.
Murphanator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:10 am

My silver 64 plate 350 fwd trend has got 221,000 on it now......runs like a dream.....it's recently had a new alternator and exhaust but that's it......just passed mot last week and tester said everything underneath looked good for a transit that age and mileage......my white 16 plate 350 fwd trend did a 1000 miles per week for the first 3 years of its life.....I bought it just after it's first mot with 150,000 on it and again it runs sweet as a nut though it did look a bit rough underneath (discs, hubs, calipers were all well rusted) but a few quid and a few gallons of sweat sorted that..... :) :) :)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ChallengeAdventures » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:20 am

My MK8 AWD has done almost 50k from new without one single blip.

But I had it from new and always service it exactly when it needs it. However buying a used van of any kind is a risk as they may well have been neglected and abused.

My mate bought a used Peugeot Boxer which looked mint with 100k on it and the engine went after 5k.

So far my transit has been great but not many look after them if used for hard work with lots of drivers.
ChallengeAdventures
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits