*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk8 2.0 rwd egr

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Mk8 2.0 rwd egr

Postby MWH » Tue May 30, 2023 1:56 pm

Any idea how you get it off?? There seems to be a ton of stuff/wires/coolant pipes in the way. Can't see many bolts that hold stuff on!! I can't find a guide on the net for it unfortunately either.

Any ideas please?
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk8 2.0 rwd egr

Postby marcrbarker » Tue May 30, 2023 11:03 pm

It's tricky to reach, being so low down, 8mm (or 9?) bolts I think there's 5? in all. Getting it back on is a mission, blobs of sticky tape to hold the bolts steady.
The unmodified PCM will get niggly about having a blanking plate and throw a DTC and limp. The standard PCM when it waggles the EGR around it watches for the MAF reading to change and susses the EGR isn't opening.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MWH » Wed May 31, 2023 2:50 pm

Was getting it off to hopefully clean it as it had a fault saying it was failing to reach its commanded position on multiple occasions. Thing is spotless when you look in where the valve and its stem is. I tried to separate it from the cooler but the torx bolts are so tight it's just twisting the bit. Tried heat as well but no luck. New ones vary from 150 quid up but none in stock anywhere.

For anyone else who wants to remove/replace.... don't, get someone else to do it!! I drained the coolant, disconnected heater matrix pipes for more room, removed throttle body, removed the plastic round thing with multiple water hoses to it and pulled it to the side. 6 8mm bolts hold the valve to the block, 3 10mm bolts hold the throttle body and 2 8mm(iirc) hold the plastic water thing. One 8mm bolt holds the cooler at the front directly under the egr cooler water inlet, which needs disconnecting. The egr valve has a cable clip on the rear holding part of the loom, screwdriver can help get this out, the egr has its own plug which needs disconnecting. It also has a vacuum actuator mounted on it which has a pipe connected to the block. It has a spring clip which is awkward to get to. Then it's tetris to remove it all. Other connectors/loom cable ties had to be removed as you go along.

Ridiculous place really for an item that is known to fail on loads of vehicles. Prepare for clips to shred your hands/wrists!! I don't know how to post pics and I don't have any photo hosting accounts so probably can't.
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby marcrbarker » Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm

In the posting history here there's mentioned a bit about the most reliable replacement EGR makes are and the makes to avoid.
Someone should invent a gadget that plugs into the diagnostic socket that puts the EGR valve into a physiotherapy workout program to loosen it up. To reduce need to take off clean a sticking one. Though such a gadget would easily get the blame for knackering a EGR on its way out
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:01 pm

marcrbarker wrote:In the posting history here there's mentioned a bit about the most reliable replacement EGR makes are and the makes to avoid.
Someone should invent a gadget that plugs into the diagnostic socket that puts the EGR valve into a physiotherapy workout program to loosen it up. To reduce need to take off clean a sticking one. Though such a gadget would easily get the blame for knackering a EGR on its way out

sounds like a good idea ..Yamaha had these on the powervalve on the water cooled two strokes...every time you turned the key on ,...the powervalve went through a workout lasting about 2 seconds...this was a valve in the exhaust port i think ,...was probably working in similar conditions to the EGR.

all the besty.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MWH » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:14 pm

I used to have a 350 power valve. They used to jam but were easy to fix. They did a 3 whine noise when you switched the ignition on as it opened and closed it.

Some kind of electrical test to move the valve would be a good idea.

The power valves moved rotationally where as the egr is up and down so may not work.
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits