*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk8 vs Custom for campervan

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Mk8 vs Custom for campervan

Postby richbee » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:34 pm

Hi all,
I've so far inhabited the Custom board - I drive an L2H1 custom which I've converted into a camper / day van, which I really enjoy driving and camping in.

For the future, I'm thinking about some thing with more space, particularly height.
So I could use an L2H2 custom, or go up again for an L2H2 or L3H2 Mk8.

Looking at the dimensions from the Ford website, the Mk8 seems to be 200mm wider inc mirrors, and 73mm wider externally, but only 2mm wider internally - Des anyone know why there is a bigger difference externally? Extra width might be worth it if you get more internal space, but with no more internal width seems a bit pointless - thinking about narrow Scottish lanes, any extra width is a bad thing!

Thanks in advance
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk8 vs Custom for campervan

Postby dumper » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:24 am

I use my mk8 L4H3 for fishing and marshaling on car rallies and do a lot of running down single track roads just come back from 4 weeks in Iraland and the van been wider I’ve not found it a problem I did think about it when changing from the mk6 but you soon get used to it I find the length more of a problem when it comes to getting past oncoming traffic on single track roads .
you need to decide what you want to fit in the van are you happy with the custom and what extra can you fit in a bigger van versus the overall size the only problem I find is car parks and on street parking.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sam123 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:45 am

I've got a Mk8 L4 H3 and I use mine just for occasional camping (not really used enough to justify keeping at the moment). I find it too big and long for what I use it for to be frank, and it's just impossible to park in city centres/crowded car parks. I'm tempted to sell it and downsize to a medium wheel base, mainly so that it can fit in a normal parking space, which will mean that I can also use it as a car. I like the extra height though, so will probably go for an H3, and I don't find any issue with the width.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:03 pm

Thanks guys - might have to try driving one when I get closer to changing it - it might be like the custom - when I swapped from a car, it took a bit of getting used to the width, but now its second nature.

I can imagine the extra length of the L4 must make quite a difference & not easy to park - aren't they 6.7m long? - which is 1.4m longer than my custom - would give plenty of internal space mind you :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of MPG do you get on a run? I've got used to getting 38 average with the custom, not sure how much difference the extra length, height etc makes
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sam123 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 pm

I've never bothered to actually work out the mpg. But it doesn't seem bad generally. As a ballpark guess, I'd say I get 25+mpg combined average. On the motorway at 65mph it generally indicates somewhere between 30 and 35 mpg on the live readout on the dash - usually closer to 35 than 30.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Blizz » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:20 pm

Transit is quite wider inside than the Custom... I've a 190cm long bed side to side in my L2H2 Transit.

At first I thought about a L2H2 Custom but that one is not as tall and I could not stand inside nor sleep sideways so went with the Transit.

Internal height is different between FWD and RWD/AWD Transits, about 10cm lower on the later ones.
Cheers,

David
Blizz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:52 pm

richbee wrote:Thanks guys - might have to try driving one when I get closer to changing it - it might be like the custom - when I swapped from a car, it took a bit of getting used to the width, but now its second nature.

I can imagine the extra length of the L4 must make quite a difference & not easy to park - aren't they 6.7m long? - which is 1.4m longer than my custom - would give plenty of internal space mind you :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of MPG do you get on a run? I've got used to getting 38 average with the custom, not sure how much difference the extra length, height etc makes

On my 4 week trip fishing and spectating on closed road rallies probably around 1500 miles a lot of driving on what the locals call Irish duel carriageway a single track road with grass down the centre overall mpg 26.9 on the run to the port and my destination it was 30 mpg and that is my normal mpg .I have changed the axle from a 3.1 to a 3.7 as better off road and I can use 6 th gear on normal A roads instead of 5th before I did this as a test on a previous trip from the port I ran it for 200 miles and that gave 29. 7 mpg at 60 mph on motorways and duel carriageway my mk6 135 ps jumbo used to do 32 mpg on the same route.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby experimenter » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:07 pm

I would recommend l3 MK8. It will be optimal room/maneurability, parkability size. I have l2h2 MK8 and regret not going bigger. It would also be a nicer comfort for longer wheelbase as l2h2 is a little bouncy, but one learns quickly when to slow down))
experimenter
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby richbee » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:22 pm

experimenter wrote:I would recommend l3 MK8. It will be optimal room/maneurability, parkability size. I have l2h2 MK8 and regret not going bigger. It would also be a nicer comfort for longer wheelbase as l2h2 is a little bouncy, but one learns quickly when to slow down))

Thanks for that - I think my gut says the L3 - with an extra 2ft length - but my other half isn't so keen - she loves driving the Custom, but isn't sure about an extra 2 feet for parking and manoeuvering.
She likes the idea the H3 for internal height, but the L2H3 looks a bit like a noddy van - slightly out of proportion!

One other random thought - there seem to be very few Mk8 with passenger airbags, apart from the jumbo minibuses and strangely the Amazon delivery vans, which seem to have all the bells and whistles.
Is it possible to retro-fit one if you can get hold of one?
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ldee247 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:58 pm

The discrepancy in external width might be due to factors like mirror size or design differences, which may not significantly impact internal space. However, if space is your priority, it's worth comparing the internal dimensions to ensure you're getting the most out of your upgrade.
ldee247
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby PorridgeGoblin » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:06 pm

ldee247 wrote:The discrepancy in external width might be due to factors like mirror size or design differences, which may not significantly impact internal space. However, if space is your priority, it's worth comparing the internal dimensions to ensure you're getting the most out of your upgrade.

I think that space is a great priority, this is usually very important. I was in a similar situation some time ago and though about upgrading the vehicle into smth more bigger. Maybe someone has any suggestions. Some vans would be suitable but they seem to be very expensive.
PorridgeGoblin

Postby richbee » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:26 pm

Blizz wrote:Transit is quite wider inside than the Custom... I've a 190cm long bed side to side in my L2H2 Transit.

At first I thought about a L2H2 Custom but that one is not as tall and I could not stand inside nor sleep sideways so went with the Transit.

Internal height is different between FWD and RWD/AWD Transits, about 10cm lower on the later ones.
Cheers,

David

That's really good info, thanks (sorry didn't notice your reply at the time!)

I noticed the FWD / RWD height difference - need to make sure that I get a FWD - supposed to be better on fuel economy too
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ldee247 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 pm

PorridgeGoblin wrote:
ldee247 wrote:The discrepancy in external width might be due to factors like mirror size or design differences, which may not significantly impact internal space. However, if space is your priority, it's worth comparing the internal dimensions to ensure you're getting the most out of your upgrade.

I think that space is a great priority, this is usually very important. I was in a similar situation some time ago and though about upgrading the vehicle into smth more bigger. Maybe someone has any suggestions. Some vans would be suitable but they seem to be very expensive.

Have you looked into the cost of medical vans? Sometimes repurposing a medical van could offer the spaciousness you're seeking, with the added benefit of built-in amenities and customization options.
ldee247
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits