*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Grinding in first gear

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Grinding in first gear

Postby speedmunky » Tue May 14, 2024 6:31 pm

Hi, mates got a 2017 2.0 rwd that sometimes grinds going into first. Not always but does it quite a lot throughout the day. His master cylinder was worn and was oval so replaced that with a Ford one (shookethed they actually come with a bushing now) thinking that could’ve been the issue but it’s not made much difference to the problem. Doesn’t seem to be any play in the stick as when you wiggle the cable moves no matter how small the movement on the stick it seems to be consistent with it. Next thoughts would be cables but don’t think that’s the issue as it’s only in 1st and was thinking it was something internal in the box.

So wondering if anyone has come across it and found a solution to what the problem is. Also I know the box on a mk7 is an mt82 and pretty sure his is an mt82 as well and was wondering if they’re compatible with each other?

Forgot to say it’s had a new clutch about 40k ago which was from Ford
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Grinding in first gear

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:56 pm

Well i suppose its only in first .because you are moving when you put it second.
I think you have a clutch problem ...worn out .

try this , put hand brake on, dip the clutch , put into gear .raise revs .let clutch out ..if it stalls ..then the clutch is good, if it does not stall ,..clutch is bad

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby speedmunky » Thu May 16, 2024 2:26 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Well i suppose its only in first .because you are moving when you put it second.
I think you have a clutch problem ...worn out .

try this , put hand brake on, dip the clutch , put into gear .raise revs .let clutch out ..if it stalls ..then the clutch is good, if it does not stall ,..clutch is bad

all the best.mark

I’ll try that when I can on Sunday but I’m fairly certain it’s all good from what I remember. Obviously the bite has come up higher after changing the master but it doesn’t slip at all. Like I say it’s only got 40k on it since it got changed after the other friction plate ended up in about 4 pieces on one side at 60k miles so that’s what makes me think it’s not that. And I’m pretty sure even with the clutch pressed fully when it grinds it continues to grind. Also I’ve not driven it much myself but you can kinda feel when it’s not fully in the gear so go to neutral then back into 1st with the same amount of force and you feel the thud (hard to explain) of it going into gear. But mo matter how hard to push when you feel it not quite go in, it won’t go in until you take it out and put it in gear again which kinda made me feel cables are the issue but surely it’s be a bit noticeable in other gears?
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:43 pm

well im afraid i cant tell how to adjust the cables --there is a link here to the mk8 manual in the last 30 posts ..trouble is its for 2.2 ..but may have the same gearbox, failing that download the custom manual in the custom forum . same engine and .that may have the same box. not sure if any custom were rear wheel drive though ...be no good then.

There is a link to a video somewhere in this forum ..showing a guy having trouble with a shaft that passes through box..which i believe may be your type... in it it shows aluminium box corroding around the hole, which the shaft passes through. Galvanic corrosion!

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits