*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rattling doors

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Rattling doors

Postby siraff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi all. Is there anyone who can reccommend somewhere to sort the rattling doors in the back of a mk8 bus? Side door mostly but now rear doors aswell.
It's been back to Ford multiple times but they don't seem able/willing or whatever to actually fix it.
That coupled with the fumes coming in (presumably from the doors) is just past a joke now.
Had it from a couple of hundred miles old and so far it's done a pcm (and the bodged fit of the new one still has a grinder mark through a nut), had a fuel leak and has always had the side door rattle which has now developed into side and rears with fumes.

Any ideas about dealers (preferably in the west mids) who can actually fix it would br great.

If not I'm considering rejecting it.
siraff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rattling doors

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm

God I hate my rattling rear doors! If you find a fix PLEASE let me know. I find that spraying silicon lube into where the middle latch is (there is foam blocks in there as well) helps for a while and gives me some much needed relief, but then it's back! :x
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndrewPS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:17 pm

You are not alone with the doors,
My driver's side sliding door has rattled since I got it, I have a double cab with twin doors, Passenger one is OK to an extent but the driver's one does my nut in, I've adjusted the rubber bumpers on the door, put silicone grease everywhere, adjusted the little wheel nut thing on the centre slider which pushes the slider in and out, put foam padding where it meets when door closed and noise is still there, when cold it sounds like a bag of snooker balls banging about, think you notice it more if you have the double cab or mini-bus as the normal vans have the bulkhead, I use mine as a car and not a work tool, everything else is pretty well screwed together with no dash rattles but the doors!! :(
AndrewPS

Postby siraff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 am

Thats exactly it. The cab seems solid but everything behind the front seats seems like its an afterthought. The plastics rattling is irritating but the doors make it sound like a service bus from the 70's.
It's even more annoying because I've had transits for 12 (nearly 13) years and apart from the usual niggles they have always been brilliant.
I expect the dodgy fit and finish and couldn't care less but that's not the same as things moving about when they shouldn't.
I've driven numerous mk8's and haven't had rattles like this. It's not a problem if it's only when you hit a big bump but this is set off by going over white lines in the road.
It's letting fumes in somewhere aswell now so bigger fish to fry.
siraff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby siraff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:54 am

Oh and mine is a family car aswell. Had a couple of old smileys then a mk6 15st which we kept for 7 years. Even when it was 15 years old it didn't rattle. It leaked oil and had rust but it was a brilliant bus.
The intention with this one was to buy a nice one and keep it for a very long time but it's not making that easy so far.
siraff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby siraff » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Took it into a different dealers yeaterday amd blow me if they haven't sorted it.
There are still plastic rattles inside but the door rattles are completely gone.
The cure? Silicone sprayed on the rubbers.
I was about to laugh but it's so effective I can't.
Still a few other bits to sort but at least that's one great big annoyance sorted for a while at least.
siraff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby m3gt2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi, I've just seen this post as I was going to ask how to take the door cards of the sliding side doors in my tourneo as they rattle like mad. It sounds like a metallic cable or something like that to me but now I'm in 2 minds and don't want to rip the cards off if this is all it takes! How would you say it sounded? Thanks
m3gt2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby siraff » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Exactly as you say - sounded like a loose cable or something in the door. Soak the rubbers in silicone and see if it works on yours aswell before pulling anything off.
siraff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby m3gt2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:08 pm

siraff wrote:Exactly as you say - sounded like a loose cable or something in the door. Soak the rubbers in silicone and see if it works on yours aswell before pulling anything off.

Thank you, I will give it a try.
m3gt2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits