*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How to replace Mk8 Jumbo side marker light

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

How to replace Mk8 Jumbo side marker light

Postby marktownend » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Ok, I'm lucky enough to have just bought a very nice 3 year old Mk8 Jumbo to replace my 10 year old Mk7. But the clip on one of the side marker lights is broken so it doesn't stay in position properly. So I've bought a replacement but can't work out how to change it over. I realise it should only take a couple of minutes but I can't reach the electrical connector inside the side rubbing strip so presumably I'm going to have to take this strip off first. And of course I don't know where the clips for that are so I don't want to just start yanking at it. Plus at one end that strip is covered by the wheel arch rubbing strip. Which is itself covered by the bottom strip.

So is there an easy way of doing this? Would I do better to just cut the wires and solder the replacement marker light in?

Thanks!
marktownend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: How to replace Mk8 Jumbo side marker light

Postby blue estate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Have you thought of just unscrewing the ply inside where marker is to see if you can see connection :wink:
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby marktownend » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks but it looks like the connection is on the outside of the bodyshell, with it being attached to part of the moulding of the rubbing strip.
marktownend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby marktownend » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:22 am

Ok, so just in case anyone needs to know for future reference, it was as simple as gently prising the rubbing strip panel off from the front end - there are several clips along the top and bottom but they seem a decent design and come out and go back in fine without breaking. No need to take off the wheel arch rubbing strip first. Then easy to just swap out the marker light.
marktownend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bluecraig0776 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Handy to know, cheers.

Getting my jumbo in a couple of weeks.
bluecraig0776
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits