*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice on door lock/security for a 2018 based motorhome

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Advice on door lock/security for a 2018 based motorhome

Postby TezZefiro » Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 am

On my ford motorhome I have relocated the OBD port to the centre of the dash in a lockable dash, and the lived up a dummy port in case people try their luck... I had the Hykee lock fitted when it first come out (before the additional surrounds were available) and have since purchased the surround, however the hykee lock is so firmly in, id damage the motor trying to remove it to add the ring, so ive got a surround i cant use. Have you thought about rotating your seats and locking them facing the other way, or chaining the steering wheel to something solid? I clutchclaw also works great, and theres some new pedal boxes floating around now also which remove access to the pedals entirely...

Either way, if someone wants the motor enough, they will still take it, we are after all just buying time. Alarms and trackers are great but the are all bypassable.... wheel clamps are good too... but nothing stops someone picking it up and taking it, regardless of how much you spend on security. I’m just looking forward to getting out in the motorhome and relaxing....
TezZefiro

Postby teerak2uk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:12 pm

a friend of mine had a replock and loom guards installed at Vanwagen https://twitter.com/vanwagenuk
teerak2uk

Postby hectors-tranny » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 pm

No - breaking in like that won't effect the immobiliser. But you will get the contents of your van nicked and the drivers door damaged!

Install a HyKee replock with a rotating bezel. It's easy enough to do yourself, and you'll sleep better!
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Juliet799 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:54 pm

I have a rv keyless entry door lock. It has a long operation distance, an all-metal body, and an easy-to-install process. Love this new upgrade to our camper. Not super worried about security as we've never run into a problem so far but it never hurts to take precautions. love the ability to enter a code to unlock rather than always having the keys on us even while at home and accessing the camper to get things or put things back!
Juliet799

Postby Juliet799 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm

Having a steering wheel lock and a hitch can also help deter thieves from jacking your vehicle and leaving the premises. Also, install motion detectors to reduce the risk of thieves stealing the RV and your other belongings.
Juliet799

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits