*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Broken ABS ring

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Broken ABS ring

Postby steve58 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi guys . ABS ring on my n/s rear wheel has broken.Is it a job that can be done on the drive or is it a garage job,I'm ok with most jobs,but never done one of these before,if anyone has some advise on how do this.van is a 14reg 350 RWD
steve58
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Broken ABS ring

Postby Murphanator » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 pm

I’ve just had mine done on my 14 plate.

I put it in for the test with the abs dash light on (thinking it was simple malfunction). It turned out to be a broken ABS ring
I was charged for the entire new bearing, as the garage said it wasn’t possible to just change the ring (which is inside the bearing apparently)

I’ve not had much luck recently with mechanics being honest with me so I’m not sure how true this is? I find it a bit odd that the ABS ring cannot be changed as a separate part..but I’ve not done any research on this.

I was charged €300 for the new bearing + labour...again I’ve not checked if this is the going rate for a mark 8 bearing (sounds a lot) but if the ring is inside I could understand why it’s a bit pricey..

If I’d have known I’d have tackled the bearing myself..

Hope that helps
Murphanator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby steve58 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi mate.the ABS ring is fitted on the back of the hub,if you take the dust cover of the inside of the hub you can see it.is yours a rear wheel drive with disc's..
Just got a new hub nut today,it's a strange thing got a built in locking ring and you need a special tool to do it up.might see what a garage will charge.
steve58
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Murphanator » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Hey Steve,

Yeah she is RWD with discs, it was the back ABS ring that was knackered, (same as yours) the garage said they had to ‘smash’ the bearing to ‘get it out’ which damaged it (the bearing) that’s why I had to have a new one, also they had to remove the halfshaft so there is quite a bit to it all..
I didn’t really get to the bottom of wether or not they damaged the bearing accidentally/whilst trying to get the ABS ring out, but upon thought it’s pretty likely...

So there must be a way to just replace the ring as a separate piece? Maybe there is a particular way to get the ABS ring out without any damage? It would’ve been much cheaper! The garage was a bit vague on this...

I got the full bill today, I paid €589 all in including a full test.. and the replacement bearing.. I’ll be honest
I was happy with that. I was expecting a total bill of €800 plus.

I realise I’m not really helping you with your question mate, but if your garage thinks the ring can be changed without having to change the bearing I’d be interested to know if it’s possible? Also what they quoted?

Good luck!
Murphanator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby steve58 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Spoke to the garage today,he said it wasn't to hard,jack up,remove wheel,remove half shaft,remove brakes,remove ABS sensor,undo hub nut(need special tool),take hub off,remove broken ring from back of hub,press on new ring .put back together! Sounds easy.got it booked in for Monday.
steve58
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Murphanator » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Ok thanks for clarifying that Steve,

The bearing/seal has since started leaking! I’ve started another thread for that fiasco!

Its booked in for Thursday at the same garage, the mechanic started giving me usual excuses like a ‘faulty bearing’ I’m quite disappointed tbh..

Glad you got yours sorted though, good to know the ABS ring can be changed separately!
Murphanator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby steve58 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Vans been in the garage today to get ABS ring replaced.Got new ring and hub nut from where my son works and with the bill from garage its cost about £150,which I think is not to bad
steve58
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits