*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Installing leisure battery/split charge

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Installing leisure battery/split charge

Postby Ashlemon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Soooooo today didn't go great installing my leisure battery and split charge as simply put I have no signs of power coming from my main battery.

I'm going to get a voltage meter tomorrow to try pinpoint the issue but can I ask you guys if the place I've connected is correct for this type of thing? (I know the fuse is disconnected at time of photo)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Installing leisure battery/split charge

Postby hughesyn » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:13 am

A voltage sensing relay won't work because it's a variable voltage alternator. You need a DC to DC smart charger.

Not sure where you are trying to connect, but there is already a 60A customer connection point on the seat, just use that. You only have to connect under the seat if you want more than 60A.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ashlemon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am

hughesyn wrote:A voltage sensing relay won't work because it's a variable voltage alternator. You need a DC to DC smart charger.

Not sure where you are trying to connect, but there is already a 60A customer connection point on the seat, just use that. You only have to connect under the seat if you want more than 60A.
Thanks alot for the info that's a big help. Disappointing about the split charge as the DC smart charge units are a but pricey (£174) but hey ho I'm learning!

Going to your second note I'm just connecting a leisure battery to then feed spotlights and 12v sockets/USB and roof fan. My battery is 110AH.

I'm guessing I still need the DC to DC smart charge unit to ensure the leisure battery doesnt flatten the main battery?

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hughesyn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Have you got 2 batteries originally in the van or one?

If you connect the lesuire battery directly to the van, the lesuire battery will charge. If you've only got one van battery it's a bit dodgy because the leisure battery will be in parallel when cranking the engine, the high current might harm it.

If you've got 2 batteries and you connect another one (the CCP is connected straight to the 2nd battery via a fuse) the leisure battery will charge the same as the 2nd van battery. In theory you can still start the van using the cranking battery if you drain the 2nd. In practice the van don't work if there's nothing at all in the 2nd battery.

A DC DC charger means there is no chance of killing the van battery, leaving you unable to start the engine.
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ashlemon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:03 am

hughesyn wrote:Have you got 2 batteries originally in the van or one?

If you connect the lesuire battery directly to the van, the lesuire battery will charge. If you've only got one van battery it's a bit dodgy because the leisure battery will be in parallel when cranking the engine, the high current might harm it.

If you've got 2 batteries and you connect another one (the CCP is connected straight to the 2nd battery via a fuse) the leisure battery will charge the same as the 2nd van battery. In theory you can still start the van using the cranking battery if you drain the 2nd. In practice the van don't work if there's nothing at all in the 2nd battery.

A DC DC charger means there is no chance of killing the van battery, leaving you unable to start the engine.
Thanks alot for your help, currently one battery with the second leisure battery I am installing. I've ordered a Stirling DC to DC smart charger so it should work now.

I just presumed all batteries were the same but supposedly the newer vehicles are going to be fit with variable power batteries more often as it helps with emissions.

Interesting.

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 am

I’ve had a Sterling for two years now great pice of kit if you mount it inside a cupboard just make sure you put vents into it to give the cooling van on the sterling some cool air
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashlemon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 pm

dumper wrote:I’ve had a Sterling for two years now great pice of kit if you mount it inside a cupboard just make sure you put vents into it to give the cooling van on the sterling some cool air
Good to hear, thanks for the heads up I wouldn't have thought about that.

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Ashlemon wrote:
dumper wrote:I’ve had a Sterling for two years now great pice of kit if you mount it inside a cupboard just make sure you put vents into it to give the cooling van on the sterling some cool air
Good to hear, thanks for the heads up I wouldn't have thought about that.

I didn’t at first I fitted in the kitchen unit and as I used the old one out of my previous van and was open at the back I thought it would get enough air but last years hot summer the van was stopping on a long time after parking up with vents in the door it still runs when changing but soon switches off after engine switched off we all learn as we go along :D
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashlemon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 am

Got the Sterling unit so hoping to get it in this weekend, a couple more queries have come up:

-ignition feed : I understand where the ignition feed sits in the Sterling unit but do I simply connect the other end to the cranking battery or is it more technical than that? Also is there a certain thickness wire i need or any?

-maybe I'll find input voltage in the battery spec but I have a Lithium battery and there are many options on the Sterling unit for different types of battery but it doesnt list Lithium, would you reccomend the option "14.6V OPEN" ???Image

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hughesyn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:51 am

You need to connect the ignition feed to any point that only comes on when the ignition is on. This tells the charger to charge when the engine is running. You should have one under the seat.
There is an explanation on page 8 of the charger manual.
Just don't leave the ignition on for a long time without the engine running, you could run the crank battery down to 10v so it won't start the engine...

This thread might help locate an ignition switched live.

There is a lithium mode. The light is the top left rather than in the list with the other battery types.

You need 16 mm² cable for the battery connections, anything for the ignition connection (I'd use 0.75 or 1 mm²).
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ashlemon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:29 pm

hughesyn wrote:You need to connect the ignition feed to any point that only comes on when the ignition is on. This tells the charger to charge when the engine is running. You should have one under the seat.
There is an explanation on page 8 of the charger manual.
Just don't leave the ignition on for a long time without the engine running, you could run the crank battery down to 10v so it won't start the engine...

This thread might help locate an ignition switched live.

There is a lithium mode. The light is the top left rather than in the list with the other battery types.

You need 16 mm² cable for the battery connections, anything for the ignition connection (I'd use 0.75 or 1 mm²).
Excellent! Thanks!

One more stupid question, I have 16mm cable but I'm guessing I'll need to get some sort of a Crimp/ terminal to return it to the B2B unit? As the wire looks too fat to insert into the required port:Image

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Mines not connected to the ignition it’s just battery to battery and the wire is Product code: P00670
Part Number: TW6B
"Single Core Thin Wall Cable - 6.0mm**50A"
Colour: Black, Length: By the metre
Price: £1.55
P00672 5 Product code: P00672
Part Number: TW6R
Colour: Red, Length: By the metre
If in doubt ring sterling they are very helpful
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashlemon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:45 pm

dumper wrote:Mines not connected to the ignition it’s just battery to battery and the wire is Product code: P00670
Part Number: TW6B
Colour: Black, Length: By the metre
P00672 5 Product code: P00672
Part Number: TW6R
Colour: Red, Length: By the metre
If in doubt ring sterling they are very helpful
Great thank you!

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ashlemon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Done the initial set up and without anything coming of the leisure battery I have this which I hope is normal but will read through the booklet when I get homeImage

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ashlemon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:21 am

Think I'm gonna need outside help on this and just pay someone to sort it!!

After my initial connections were incorrect I've studied the manual but now the unit is lifeless, I've sent the video below to Simplysplit charge and Sterling and include it below if anyone can offer advice.

I know alot about timber but electrics is alien as I'm sure you can see.

https://youtu.be/vxBz9cf3QrI

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits