*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

White Smoke from Exhaust 2.2 RWD

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

White Smoke from Exhaust 2.2 RWD

Postby McNarked » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi Folks,

Recently my 2.2 RWD has been spouting white smoke from the exhaust.

I have only done about 900 miles since i bought it with 80k on it.

I am currently trying to convert the back of it so its been sitting for a little bit every now and again.

So it looked like the fuel gauge wasent moving for a while. It worked fine though ( No smoke).

Took it for a drive and after about an hour or so got a smell and seen white smoke billowing out exhaust. Now every time i drive it i get white smoke after an hour or so of driving. I did do a trip of about 100+ miles and it didn't smoke once this was after it had smoked previously a different day.

Checked the oil cap no "milky" stuff, same as the dip stick. coolant doesn't seem to be reducing - Most white smoke searches come back as head gasket etc.

There is also no performance issues that i can note.

Is there anything i can check before shoving it in to a garage? could it be related to the sticking fuel gauge? in some way..

Thanks in advance.
64 Mk8 Transit RWD 2.2
McNarked
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: White Smoke from Exhaust 2.2 RWD

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Chuck a bottle of diesel engine cleaner in the tank? If it's been regularly filled with supermarket fuel over its lifetime there could be all sorts of crap in there.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby McNarked » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:Chuck a bottle of diesel engine cleaner in the tank? If it's been regularly filled with supermarket fuel over its lifetime there could be all sorts of crap in there.

Cheers Hector,
That is what i was thinking, then got trapped in the loop of reading all the "Snake oil" reviews.. But funnily enough I horsed in a bottle of wynns gold, some BP premium diesel and took it for a long drive.

So far so good. Will hold out final judgement until after weekend. But no smoke so far in last 2 days.

Thanks alot!
64 Mk8 Transit RWD 2.2
McNarked
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby McNarked » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:58 am

So after some time with this, i have realised its happening about every 300 miles or so. DPF issue?

Plugged it in one day with forscan, Soot load was 83%, Took it for a spin down the dualer in 5th gear, After about 50 or so miles, noticed the smoke / smell.

After a few miles it stopped, When i then plugged it back in it was at 33%. So i am assuming it was an "Active" regen?

Has anyone had similar issues ? or ideas?

I have also changed the oil and filters. As the oil had been increasing, and had read the if aborted the active regen it adds diesel to oil (i had aborted a few prior to know anything about it)

I am not really sure what to do to be honest.

Cheers
64 Mk8 Transit RWD 2.2
McNarked
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby BHM » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:08 pm

Perhaps the DPF vaporizer is not injecting a correct vapor, neat un-vaporized fuel will burn with a white smoke:

https://uk.autologic.com/news/top-tip-ford

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby McNarked » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Cheers BHM.

I will investigate the vaporiser.
64 Mk8 Transit RWD 2.2
McNarked
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby McNarked » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:33 pm

So an update on this..

Been under the van Vaporiser glow plug resistance is reading between 0.9 and 1.1 ohms, and does not seem to hold any pressure from what i could see with my cheap hand vacuum pump.

I am not sure if the attachments will help, but the one with 45% soot_LD was about 20/30 miles after last regen which occurred about 270+ miles after the one before.
IMG_20200901_182057.jpg

and the 76% one is after doing probably about 170ish miles since last. So 31% since the first picture.
IMG_20200901_181918.jpg

Any more help would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
64 Mk8 Transit RWD 2.2
McNarked
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Cowan2007 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Hello have you resolved this issue I’m getting something similar to you but it’s white/blue smoke and it occurs under hard acceleration or long periods of idling also I see from your picture the engine oil level is 127.50% (EOL) mine is the exact same I drained some oil out bits it’s still the same has anyone else seen this issue ?
Cowan2007

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits