*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heater fan

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Heater fan

Postby gfjoiner » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:32 pm

The heater fan in my 2016 has developed the following problem, it will only work when the switch is on the top setting 5.
Has anyone else had a problem with the fan, and is it possibly just the switch that is faulty or is it most likely the fan itself.
How easy is it to replace the fan ?
Gareth.
gfjoiner

Re: Heater fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Almost certainly will be the fan dropper resistor (if it's still that simple in a modern van :? )

It won't be the fan or the switch, they either work fully, or not at all.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby michael.hitchings » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm

[quote="Altransit"]Almost certainly will be the fan dropper resistor (if it's still that simple in a modern van :? )

It won't be the fan or the switch, they either work fully, or not at all.[/quot
It will be the resistor has blown. There is a fuse which the current goes through to reduce your fan speed. When you are on the fastest speed it by passes the resistor. Make sure you get the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michael.hitchings

Postby gfjoiner » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Thank you, it is the resistor I just have to figure out how to get at it. I think it is accessible from behind the glove box.
I will post the result when I have replaced it.
gfjoiner

Postby michael.hitchings » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:51 pm

gfjoiner wrote:Thank you, it is the resistor I just have to figure out how to get at it. I think it is accessible from behind the glove box.
I will post the result when I have replaced it.

It should be close to the fan and it will be a plug in type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michael.hitchings

Postby Altransit » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:57 pm

If it's like the Mk5/6/7, it's high up on the heater box, on the drivers side, and as said, next to the motor. You have to access from under the dash, and long arms/thin fingers are helpful, especially if you have aircon, because the pipes are right in the way :P
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby gfjoiner » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:44 pm

I have replaced the resistor which I got from Ford £70.00. To replace it in order to get at it you have to remove the glove box which means removing the lower panels on the dash. The cup holder and bottle holder on the passenger side also has to come off, there is a mix of torx head screws and clips which you can prise out using plastic trim levers. If it will not come off you have missed a screw, so don't force anything, the clips are a tight fit but will pull off. You then have to remove the top vent duct by unscrewing the lower duct and pulling it apart. You can then get at the resistor, unscrewing the torx screw is difficult but unclip the connector first to get better access. I replaced it with a pozi self tapper when I fitted the new one as you can get a stubby screw driver in easier. You then just put everything back in reverse order and hope you don't have any fixings left.
It took me about 2 hours to get it out and half an hour to put everything back. Having done it once I could do it in about an hour know.
gfjoiner

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks for posting back with a conclusion, it will be a massive help in the future 8) :D
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Shirazman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:59 am

gfjoiner wrote:I have replaced the resistor which I got from Ford £70.00. To replace it in order to get at it you have to remove the glove box which means removing the lower panels on the dash. The cup holder and bottle holder on the passenger side also has to come off, there is a mix of torx head screws and clips which you can prise out using plastic trim levers. If it will not come off you have missed a screw, so don't force anything, the clips are a tight fit but will pull off. You then have to remove the top vent duct by unscrewing the lower duct and pulling it apart. You can then get at the resistor, unscrewing the torx screw is difficult but unclip the connector first to get better access. I replaced it with a pozi self tapper when I fitted the new one as you can get a stubby screw driver in easier. You then just put everything back in reverse order and hope you don't have any fixings left.
It took me about 2 hours to get it out and half an hour to put everything back. Having done it once I could do it in about an hour know.
Hi there,
Do you know the part number and what's it's called? Thanks heaps

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Shirazman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Shirazman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:19 am

Shirazman wrote:
gfjoiner wrote:I have replaced the resistor which I got from Ford £70.00. To replace it in order to get at it you have to remove the glove box which means removing the lower panels on the dash. The cup holder and bottle holder on the passenger side also has to come off, there is a mix of torx head screws and clips which you can prise out using plastic trim levers. If it will not come off you have missed a screw, so don't force anything, the clips are a tight fit but will pull off. You then have to remove the top vent duct by unscrewing the lower duct and pulling it apart. You can then get at the resistor, unscrewing the torx screw is difficult but unclip the connector first to get better access. I replaced it with a pozi self tapper when I fitted the new one as you can get a stubby screw driver in easier. You then just put everything back in reverse order and hope you don't have any fixings left.
Hi there,
Do you know the part number and what's it's called? Thanks heaps

3C1H18B647AA ?

Shirazman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Abbadon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:28 pm

Any chance you have any photos, as when I look at mine it is not clear what needs unscrewing to enable that front piece of ductwork to come free. I havnt removed cup holder or other, but its not clear why that is actually necessary?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy
Abbadon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits