*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Nearside dipped beam fault

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Nearside dipped beam fault

Postby KevofCov » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:32 pm

Van 3.5t LWB 2016

Can anybody help? Intermittently this week the n/s dipped beam bulb has not worked triggering a dash bong and message. Fault clears on its own next time I start. Finally the bulb went. New bulb fitted and the fault is permenant - no light all the time.
There is no supply to pin 8 on the headlight unit connector and the fuses are ok. The problem lies between the fuse and the headlamp connector. There are no obvious loose wires. Fault code cleared with Forscan. Can I ask;

There appear to be no relays so is the lamp is controlled by the BCM?

If I purchase a used BCM is it plug and play or does it require an adult to set it up to my van?
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Nearside dipped beam fault

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:20 pm

If you have voltage at the fuse, but not at the H/L connector, would it be worth trying a suitably sized jumper lead between those two points :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 pm

It sounds similar to the problem that people had with cheap HID kits, the bcm detects slight overload and cuts the supply. It will only do this a finite number of times before it needs resetting with IDS or similar. I suspect that your failing bulb has been drawing a little too much current. Check the bulb contacts for damage/corrosion. Then get it reset.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Try disconnecting the battery and jioning the plus and minus leads together for a bit :idea:Make sure to do both batteries if you have two :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:46 pm

I’ve tried disconnecting both batteries and touching the leads together. No joy.
I’ve run out of talent and it looks like the module that controls the lights may be faulty.
If I purchase a used BCM is it plug and play or does it require an adult to set it up to my van?
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:01 pm

BCM is configured with entire vehicle spec,down to some really minor details,and part of immobiliser system.
I really wouldn’t be changing that till your 100% it’s causing the fault.
Are you sure your diag equipment is clearing the fault code correctly ?
You may have a short on the wiring to headlamp / bulb causing it to keep shutting it down...
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby KevofCov » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:54 am

Sorted it. It was the bleedin bulb doing strange stuff. Looked fine, just my luck.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Sat May 09, 2020 6:19 pm

Mike wrote:It sounds similar to the problem that people had with cheap HID kits, the bcm detects slight overload and cuts the supply. It will only do this a finite number of times before it needs resetting with IDS or similar. I suspect that your failing bulb has been drawing a little too much current. Check the bulb contacts for damage/corrosion. Then get it reset.

I need to resurrect this thread as the problem has returned. Mike - can Forscan reset it? or do I need to book it in for an adult to do it?
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Just to complete this thread, I have solved the issue and can repeat the solution if it happens again. Hope this helps you.
The scenario is one of your dipped beam or high beam bulbs fail. Replacing the bulb does not cure the issue. Fuses are ok. Bulb is ok. There is a message on your dash telling you that your headlamp is duff. You get out your multimeter and there is no 12v supply to your dipped/high beam circuit into your headlight moulding. In the pub you learn that it “Must be the fuse or relay or a wiring/plug problem” Good advice for once, mines a Stella…
What I have learnt is that your headlamp units are controlled by a module and that there are no headlamp relays. And very few fuses. If this module ‘detects’ an issue with your headlight dipped/main beam it will shut down that side. Replacing a blown bulb may/may not reset the system and restore power to that bulb filament.
Brilliant.
You need to access the van’s control system, reset the fault code and you head lamp will light again.
Bloody marvellous.
At the risk of sounding like Clarkson -
How does that comply with the need to carry spare bulbs on the continent?
What was wrong with the old way – battery/switch/relay/bulb? It’s been fine for 3 thousand years….
Who at Ford thought – ‘I got a great idea to make headlight circuits better' and what’s his home address?
Rant over.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Tue May 26, 2020 8:25 pm

I think a lot of this is done so you have to take vehicles back to dealers for minor repairs as nowadays for general servicing they only see them once a year sometimes two years for me you should be able to change all obligatory lights at the side of the road by just a screwdriver by anyone and should be part of use regulations .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chris_ » Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 pm

Is Forscan(+OBD adaptor) sufficient to delete the error codes, or do you need to take it to the dealer to get it done?
MK 7.5 12plate - 125hp 2.2TDCI - FWD LHD SWB LR - 9 seats, windows and lots of toys :) --> southampton built and rescued from france
chris_
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby KevofCov » Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm

chris_ wrote:Is Forscan(+OBD adaptor) sufficient to delete the error codes, or do you need to take it to the dealer to get it done?

Hi Chris

Forscan is all I used
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby chris_ » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm

KevofCov wrote:
chris_ wrote:Is Forscan(+OBD adaptor) sufficient to delete the error codes, or do you need to take it to the dealer to get it done?

Hi Chris

Forscan is all I used

Thx mate :D 8)
MK 7.5 12plate - 125hp 2.2TDCI - FWD LHD SWB LR - 9 seats, windows and lots of toys :) --> southampton built and rescued from france
chris_
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dub-jon » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:21 pm

KevofCov wrote:Just to complete this thread, I have solved the issue and can repeat the solution if it happens again. Hope this helps you.
The scenario is one of your dipped beam or high beam bulbs fail. Replacing the bulb does not cure the issue. Fuses are ok. Bulb is ok. There is a message on your dash telling you that your headlamp is duff. You get out your multimeter and there is no 12v supply to your dipped/high beam circuit into your headlight moulding. In the pub you learn that it “Must be the fuse or relay or a wiring/plug problem” Good advice for once, mines a Stella…
What I have learnt is that your headlamp units are controlled by a module and that there are no headlamp relays. And very few fuses. If this module ‘detects’ an issue with your headlight dipped/main beam it will shut down that side. Replacing a blown bulb may/may not reset the system and restore power to that bulb filament.
Brilliant.
You need to access the van’s control system, reset the fault code and you head lamp will light again.
Bloody marvellous.
At the risk of sounding like Clarkson -
How does that comply with the need to carry spare bulbs on the continent?
What was wrong with the old way – battery/switch/relay/bulb? It’s been fine for 3 thousand years….
Who at Ford thought – ‘I got a great idea to make headlight circuits better' and what’s his home address?
Rant over.

Hi mate, mine has done the exact same thing!

I don’t have any diagnostic stuff, any links to what you bought please?
Thanks
Dub-jon

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:39 pm

This is all I have. Super cheap and super works.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=197149
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits